Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Eczema :(

(14 Posts)
Hollz26 Mon 21-Nov-16 17:53:17

Just wondered if anyone else is suffering with bad eczema? before i fell pregnant i had it bad anyway and now im covered in it on my hands all up my arms now on my bump and all over my eyes sad getting me down now when i go to doctors they just give me another cream but nothing seems to work anyone know of any creams or anything that helps at all? Thanks in advance x

Chloeneedshelp Mon 21-Nov-16 17:59:53

I'm in the same position. Regularly at the doctors getting yet another cream! Last time said its gets worse in pregnancy because your body gets warmer.

manhowdy Mon 21-Nov-16 18:13:35

Have you tried Diprobase? I suffer badly and it's the only thing that works for me. You can get 500g bottle in Boots for £11. Sometimes they have to order it in but it arrives next day.

babynelly2010 Mon 21-Nov-16 18:37:58

My eczema was slightly there before I got pregnant. It got really bad during the first trimester. It was on my face my head, elbows, I never had it before on my head. It miracously disappeared in second trimester...

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Mon 21-Nov-16 18:42:36

Buy a big tub if aqueous cream. Use it instead of soap, body wash, moisturiser, hand cream, the lot. Apply liberally and especially after anything where the skin is stripped of oils like the washing up. It works as a good base, but isn't a cure. It's mild and replenishes oils without clogging the skin. Get it from the counter in a chemist or even poundland. Cheaper than buying E45 etc, and I find it more effective.

Sympathies, it's horrible at this time of year too.

Wolfiefan Mon 21-Nov-16 18:45:42

No no no. Aqueous cream is a soap!!!! NEVER use it as a handcream or moisturiser.
You need the right emollient. Diprobase works for me. Others use doublebase or dermol. Use it a lot!
Watch what you wash clothes and skin with.
You may need steroids or protopic on your face. I'm afraid it's trial and error. Some people swear by oats and aveeno. Doesn't work for me.

Onsera3 Mon 21-Nov-16 18:48:28

The most effective thing for my son's is actually oral probiotic. My friend's DS had amazing results too. No particular brand. Worth a try if you're not taking one already as the effect is very quick when it does work.

For the skin I like whipped Shea butter as that's what helped my son's.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Mon 21-Nov-16 19:15:32

No, aqueous cream is definitely both a moisturiser and a substitute for soap. I've used it this way since about 1989, and it's still being prescribed that way now if you want to see a doctor.

www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/skin-and-hair/a6228/aqueous-cream/

Hollz26 Mon 21-Nov-16 20:46:32

Thankyou everyone xx

YoHoHoandabottleofTequila Mon 21-Nov-16 20:56:17

I was told by my children's dermatologist not to use Aqueous as a moisturiser, only as a soap substitute.

SeashellHoarder Mon 21-Nov-16 21:25:09

I've had great results with aveeno oil for washing followed with the lotion. Both available on prescription as they are pretty expensive when you use them as directed.

Hope it clears up soon.

Wolfiefan Mon 21-Nov-16 22:01:52

Please check with a dermatologist Vivienne. It may have been recommended by a doc BUT it is designed as a soap substitute. Using it as a moisturising cream will only dry out your skin.

Mouthofmisery Mon 21-Nov-16 22:05:18

Completely understand. Had it so bad over my face during 1st and 2nd trimesters. Had to stop using anything on my face. I have mild eczema all the time but it went bonkers! Only use Vaseline now?!!!! It's never worked before!!

SarahOoo Mon 21-Nov-16 22:30:04

I use California Baby Calendula Cream but it's from America, however check Amazon! I use it on my dermatitis. Avoid any soap products that have Sodium Laurel Sulfate in them, all H&B products are SLS free. This will help, don't use steroid creams either.

I also have used Dream Cream from Lush and Aveeno.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now