Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Expiernences of being induced 37 weeks +

(12 Posts)
WanttoStartAgain Sun 20-Nov-16 15:35:25

Hi, I'm being induced on Wednesday, I'll be 37 weeks.

Im hoping that because this will be my 3rd birth it will be over relatively quickly. Although the leaflet I've been given says it can take 2-4 days 🙈. What have other people's expierences of induction been like?

BitchPeas Sun 20-Nov-16 15:40:33

I was incduced with DC2. Had the pessary, contractions on and off for 24 hours but stayed at 2cm, went on lots of walks! The it all kicked off, 3 hours later she was born with only 10 minutes pushing. They did break my waters when I was 7cm as I was getting a really strong urge to push. That was about 45 mins before she was born.

It was so much more enjoyable and relaxed than my first!

BitchPeas Sun 20-Nov-16 15:41:09

Oh and I was 37+2!

Hellmouth Sun 20-Nov-16 15:41:43

It was induced at 41+5 cos DS (my first and only) was overdue. They used a pessary.

There was a woman in my ward who had been induced, but it didn't work so they had to do it again 24 hours later.

Within hours of being induced, I was in labour, but I was in labour for nearly 24 hours. They had to take the propase out as I was hyper stimulated and had 8 contractions in 10 minutes.

One of my friends was induced, but ended up having an emergency c section anyway.

To be honest, everyone's experience is different, so just be prepared that anything can happen.

McBaby Sun 20-Nov-16 16:51:45

38 week induction with dd2. First propess in Tuesday pm did nothing for 12 hours. Second one in Wednesday morning as the first gel out which is why it was doing nothing. Contractions all day 2cm by evening so broke my waters, 6 hours later still 2cm so 6 hours of drip. Then still 2cm Thursday morning so classed as failed induction.

45 mins later I was 10cm and ready to push.

So about 24 hours from first contraction to birth.

PatriciaMum567 Wed 23-Nov-16 23:34:30

Can you eat during/ before induction?

lananzack Wed 23-Nov-16 23:48:25

Pp I ate.. The midwives didn't shout at me so I suppose you're allowed (don't quote me on that, though).

I was induced at 37+3 with DD because my 'hind' waters (I didn't know that was a thing) had been broken for 24hrs. I expected a lengthy process - they began with cervidil about 6pm (tampon type thing that softens cervix) and I was in labour within half an hour. Popped her out at quarter to 1. Piece of piss (other than the excruciating pain and blood and gore, ofcourse grin).

lananzack Wed 23-Nov-16 23:49:33

Just realised you've been induced today... Probably wasn't in need of my lately added story grin hope all is well!

Onedaylikethi5ayear Wed 23-Nov-16 23:53:55

Yes you can eat up until you are put on hormone drip (if you need it, hopefully you won't). I was induced at 41+ 5 but was 5cm already when I got there. My waters were broken but labour did not progress and I was given the syntocin drip. I ended up over stimulated and was taken on and off the drip all day. I had read on here that if you are told you are having the drip to ask for an epidural first, I wish I had followed that advice! I got one in the end but only after quite a traumatic time and lots of pain. I ended up with a section buy not due to the induction process. All things considered it was not as bad as I expected and wouldn't be scared of induction, it's nice knowing when labour will be happening.

PatriciaMum567 Thu 24-Nov-16 06:37:48

Thanks. I will eat

SweetMummy911 Thu 24-Nov-16 09:30:39

I was induced with both of my children - first time it was under "emergency" conditions as my placenta started to detach from the lining and I was bleeding heavily. I was put on the drip and within 23 hours my son was born by forceps delivery. As this was done under emergency conditions it was very scary and something I would hate to go through again (currently pregnant with number 3 also)

With my second I was induced at exactly 39 weeks due to her measuring really large on growth scan (she was in fact nearly 10lb baby so they were right to do so). As this was a planned induction I found it much more controlled and easier than my first birth:

- Admitted on Wednesday was given the first dose - mild contractions not much happened over 24 hours (did not dilate even 1cm)

- Thursday morning was given the second dose - again mild contractions, manageable and after 9 hours only dilated 1cm

- Thursday afternoon consultant asked me if I wanted a third dose or whether I wanted to have my waters broken - chosen to have an ARM (Artificial Rupture of Membrane) at 5pm that day. Again uncomfortable but manageable

- Contractions were mild but erratic, did not stabilise and were starting to fizzle out despite the ARM

- MIdwife gave me the choice to wait a little longer risking emergency C-Section (as after ARM you have 24 hours to give birth to prevent risk of infection) or go on drip (which is the most painful but fasted method)

- Was put on the drip at 9pm Thursday morning, took diamorphine at 11pm slept til 1am then the pain started...... pushed till 1:45am and DD was finally born naturally

Pinklily1 Thu 24-Nov-16 11:45:00

I was induced because I was overdue.

Had pessary and 12 hours later they broke my waters. Failed to progress quick enough so then had the drip 8 hours after my waters had been broken. DD was born 2 hours later with some help from forceps shock She arrived 24 hours after I had the pessary and all in all it was ok. I didn't get the water birth I wanted but that was because of the failure to progress rather than the fact that I was induced.

Hope all goes well for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now