Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity Wear

(32 Posts)
NannyW Thu 17-Nov-16 19:32:14

I’ve already posted this in Style and Beauty but haven’t had any replies yet and was hoping to do some online ordering tonight grin thought that here might give me more replies!

I am looking for a bit of advice about where to look for maternity wear.I have just sent a whole load of stuff back from asos after being disappointed with everything i’ve ordered expect one red jumper.

I was really looking for some petite (so shorter in the leg) black skinny jeans, under or over bump although currently wearing under the bump denim jeans and coping well with them. The pair I got from asos just felt like they were going to fall down though.

I am also looking for some dresses to wear over the festive season that I can grow into that are not ‘wrap’ dresses as I just cannot make myself like the way they look! Something that isn’t too short or that I can wear with black tights is preferable.

I am only 15 weeks but can hardly fit into my current dresses due to them feeling too tight across my bust and I do have a noticeable bump already.

I am 5’4, size 12, pale with dark hair. I also have large boobs, 32E/F and growing!

TIA

NameChange30 Thu 17-Nov-16 19:36:22

I had some luck with Zalando - don't know about petite though.
Got a nice dress from Debenhams (it's stretchy so it fits ok across the bust, although it's clearly more stretched in that area!)
And Next have some good maternity jeans, I avoided skinnies but I think they have some.

crayfish Thu 17-Nov-16 19:39:51

I found H&M to be the best. They actually have stuff in the shop too which most places don't and I got sick of sending stuff back after buying online. I got a few bits in New Look too but it was quite poor quality.

I'm after a pair of standard black work trousers that can be worn with boots and don't cost the earth. Everything is jeans and dresses!

NameChange30 Thu 17-Nov-16 19:41:01

crayfish Zalando maternity chinos! I love them. Only about £25 and you might be able to find a discount code.

babynelly2010 Thu 17-Nov-16 19:42:56

New look has nice jeggins and jeans over bump, true to size.

raviolidreaming Thu 17-Nov-16 19:49:14

I love that New Look and H&M have maternity clothes in stock, so I've been buying exclusively from them to avoiding that hassle of returning everything!

NameChange30 Thu 17-Nov-16 19:51:32

Love these so much I've even dug out the link for you crayfish smile
m.zalando.co.uk/zalando-essentials-maternity-chinos-black-zx029ba00-q11.html

sycamore54321 Thu 17-Nov-16 19:55:32

I feel your pain! For glamorous stuff, I got this and love it : m.asos.com/asos-maternity/asos-maternity-asymmetric-contemporary-midi-dress-with-belt/prd/6107903?iid=6107903

For regular clothes though, eugh. Have you tried Seraphine? Pricey but if you are already in maternity clothes at 15 weeks, cost per wearight be worth it. I'm at the stage now where I only have four outfits that fit and that I can bear, so I literally rotate them one after the next. In an odd way, it is strangely liberating to know exactly what I will be wearing every Monday etc!

IDreamOfPeace Thu 17-Nov-16 20:03:39

H&M gets my vote too!

I was particularly unimpressed with Next's maternity wear. I returned a pair of ill-fitting jeans and the Next sales assistant actually told me to go to H&M instead because their maternity wear was better!

ITMama1 Thu 17-Nov-16 20:07:39

New look and Dorothy perkins online were lifesavers for me. However for skinny jeans I just bought from primark in size 16, I'm normally a 12 as they go over bump really well but legs aren't baggy as a result. I'm due next week and still wearing them, have been since about 20wks.

GreedyDuck Thu 17-Nov-16 20:46:13

Gap maternity jeans were pretty good, only available online though.

crayfish Thu 17-Nov-16 20:50:45

Oh they look perfect NameChange, thanks! I had never looked on Zalando before.

user1471950254 Thu 17-Nov-16 21:03:49

My skinny jeans were from New Look and Debenhams. Debenhams online had lots of nice dresses when I was pregnant in summer and seemed to have good maternity sales too. I ordered some items yesterday in the sale but I didn't notice if they had many maternity items

NannyW Thu 17-Nov-16 21:05:02

Thanks for all the suggestions - ill def have a look through all these! It is such a pain having so little choice actually in a shop. I found it hard enough getting clothes pre pregnancy!

Primark is a good idea ITMama1for just sizing up...may have a look. Unfortunately leggings seem so popular in pregnancy but I hate the way I look in them.

Thanks!

NannyW Thu 17-Nov-16 21:05:44

Ohh I like that dress too sycamore may order... grin

H&M and new look seemed to be the only thing that really suited me. I'm 5ft 2 and size 12 (pre pregnancy- I'm a lot bigger now still blush)

hateadulting Thu 17-Nov-16 21:20:24

Have to agree with what most pp have said...new look and H&M!

I ordered a few bits off Boohoo.com a couple of weeks ago. They have a new maternity range and everything online look lovely and they have really nice dresses and going out tops but I was so disappointed when I got my stuff. The quality was awful and everything was really thin. I wouldn't recommend them.

NannyW Thu 17-Nov-16 21:50:53

Yes, I’ve bought boohoo from asos before and been disappointed. Just bought a few dresses and some jeans from zalando, they had some gap ones too so trying them out. May try to get to an h&m over the weekend

MrsJW15 Thu 17-Nov-16 22:36:59

I haven't found any shops yet that stock maternity wear! If anyone knows any in London please let me know!

Nanny so far I've found TopShop, H&M and Dorothy Perkins to be good. TopShop actually have a few pairs of short leg length mat jeans. Not loads in stock but worth having a look. I got some black work trousers from DP and a nice grey jumper dress from H&M. Definitely would like some more dresses though.

I'm also petite, and the lack of petite mat wear is annoying!

NameChange30 Fri 18-Nov-16 07:57:15

In my city H&M doesn't stock maternity clothes in store. The only high street shop that does is New Look (but they only have a tiny selection, most of it is still online).

Even JMB and Mothercare only have a small selection, where I live anyway, the shops aren't huge and there is more baby stuff than maternity stuff.

FeelingForSnow Fri 18-Nov-16 12:40:22

I just bought skinny jeans from Seraphine and they are great! They are perfect for your normal size. Unfortunately, I am a 170cm girl and they were too short. I kept them anyways as I wear long boots now and I desperately needed nice jeans but I am on the look for new longer versions.

I did not like Next with all their silly schoolgirl-like embroidery and don't like over the bump jeans.

Sherbert38 Fri 18-Nov-16 13:01:07

Another one for H&M and New Look. Also have been living in the Topshop Maternity Leigh jeans as they don't fall down and are available in long lengths (I'm 5'8") Although they do fade etc quickly.
For those in London, H&M and Topshop in Oxford Street and Westfield have quite a lot in store to avoid the hassle of returns etc.
Seriously struggling for dresses and smart office wear though!

MrsJW15 Fri 18-Nov-16 14:26:36

Sherbert will have to see if I can get myself to one of those. Do you mean Stratford or Shepherd's Bush Westfield? (Possibly in both!). Right now I'm particularly struggling with tights. I'm wearing a Boots pair today but they are constantly falling down!

savagehk Fri 18-Nov-16 15:26:12

I didn't get any new New Look stuff but found the second hand stuff I'd bought rather poor quality.
Isabella Oliver stuff is fantastic but pricey; I'm buying second hand on eBay this time (bought a few bits new in the sales last time).
You want to give some consideration to whether or not the item may double as a breastfeeding top too to save having to shell out twice!

Laststop Fri 18-Nov-16 15:27:36

Try Asda online

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now