Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cervix gone missing?!

(8 Posts)

So a couple of weeks back, I had a vaginal examination at 38+2. My cervix was 2cm and open enough for a fingertip but not much more. Jump forward to today (40+3), and another midwife went to give me a stretch and sweep but couldn't as she couldn't find my cervix! She looked all over apparently but couldn't find it anywhere. How is that even possible?! Feeling rather frustrated and deflated. Anyone got any ideas where it's got to?! confused

Jodie1982 Wed 16-Nov-16 21:33:10

Hmmmm....that's odd! Sorry I'm of no help, hopefully someone will come along with some useful info.
Did you get to speak to another mw who could possibly have a feel/look??

There's only one midwife at my surgery so nobody else to try! I guess I'll have to wait until I'm back at the hospital on Tuesday. I just can't work out where it could have disappeared to!

IAmAPaleontologist Wed 16-Nov-16 22:01:45

The thing is it isn't an exact science, sometimes you can be convinced you've found a cervix but it isn't. Sometimes you just can't feel a thing. You are putting your fingers into a wet fleshy thing looking for another wet fleshy thing with a slightly different texture. It is all subjective. You could have 20 midwives in a queue each having a go and you would get a variety of opinions on the state of your cervix.

IEatCannibals Wed 16-Nov-16 22:06:00

Sometimes as the baby's head descends the cervix goes behind the baby's head and can be very tricky to find.

So I'll take it as a good sign that the baby is lower then iEatCannibals - thank you. I knew someone would be able to explain it in a way that would make me feel less useless at expelling humans! grin

raviolidreaming Wed 16-Nov-16 22:44:16

You could have 20 midwives in a queue each having a go

That does not sound like an antenatal appointment I want to go to!

Etak15 Wed 16-Nov-16 22:48:41

This has happened to me too when I was meant to have a sweep, I don't understand it either but just to let you know your not the only one! And it does magically appear back again when your in labour wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now