Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Should I buy formula just in case?

(45 Posts)
TurtlesAreAwesome Sun 13-Nov-16 22:04:51

Hi there, I'm getting closer to the big day, so I'm just thinking about the final things for baby.

I plan to breastfeed, but not 100% on the idea. I know my maternity unit does have little bottles of baby milk, in case I change my mind. But I live on my own, so getting someone to nip out and get me some formula if I change my mind on feeding method isn't going to be easy.

Do I buy some just in case, or should I see how it goes and commit myself a bit more to the idea of breastfeeding? blush

NickyEds Sun 13-Nov-16 22:06:30

I would buy some just in case. You can buy starter kits with bottles and teats already sterile etc.

TurtlesAreAwesome Sun 13-Nov-16 22:10:09

Ok, thank you. As I already have bottles and a microwaveable steriliser (if breastfeeding works out, I will be expressing), I was considering buying those ready made bottles and a tub of formula for the first few days. Does that sound like a good idea?

I'm 100% sure I want to breast feed but have a starter kit of pre made formula with teats anyway, just as I did with my first. I think it's sensible to be prepared!

I would if you have no one to get any for you. I really didn't expect to formula feed and had to get my mum to emergency shop for it as I was kicked out of hospital at 4pm on a Sunday!
Good luck with baby

TurtlesAreAwesome Sun 13-Nov-16 22:14:27

Yes, it does seem sensible to be prepared. smileWhen I discussed it with a friend, she said it will be a waste of money if I don't end up using formula and that I might abandon the idea of breastfeeding more quickly, but I think she's possibly being a bit biased.

nennyrainbow Sun 13-Nov-16 22:14:31

I would think if you buy ready made bottles and a tub of formula, then you'll probably never give breastfeeding a proper go. Formula is pretty easy to come by: I would just buy it if and when you need it.

nennyrainbow Sun 13-Nov-16 22:16:28

I think they give you a free sample of formula in your take home bounty pack ( at least they did about 12 years ago!)

TurtlesAreAwesome Sun 13-Nov-16 22:16:43

Peppa, they never kick you out at a convenient time, do they? I've been discharged from the antenatal ward quite late on before and had to wait around in my pjs for a taxi outside! Also, thank you. smile

Winegumaddict Sun 13-Nov-16 22:17:15

I bought a small packet of ready made bottles just in case last time. I never needed them but the peace of mind the few pounds it cost gave was fine by me. I had enough to last 24hrs I suppose. I'd just get something similar but not bother with a tub as that may be a waste.

TurtlesAreAwesome Sun 13-Nov-16 22:18:54

Nenny, I'm not sure that they'd be allowed to do that now with the NHS being very pro-breastfeeding. I do understand your point and I'm also wondering whether that will be the case, I'm just worried about being stuck without any formula at home if I do end up bottle feeding. confused

TipBoov Sun 13-Nov-16 22:19:30

Yes, even though I fully intend to breastfeed, I've bought a starter pack, it says that it's enough for 24 hours worth of feeds.

I didn't with DS1, and DH had go out trying to find somewhere that was open in the middle of the night on Easter Monday!

SheepyFun Sun 13-Nov-16 22:19:38

I planned to ebf, and was discharged from hospital thinking this was going OK. Turned out DD couldn't latch. This was discovered on day 3, when she'd lost 14% of her birthweight. The midwife spoke to a paediatrician back at the hospital who said she didn't have to be admitted, but we needed to get milk into her immediately. My milk hadn't come in, so formula it needed to be. Unfortunately it was Sunday evening. The hospital were able to tell us of a Tesco Local that stocked formula, which DH went to get. The midwife gave us a syringe which got us through the night. If we ever have another, I'll make sure I have something in - the starter packs sound a great idea, and if you don't use them, it won't be the last time you spend money on something your DC doesn't use!

TurtlesAreAwesome Sun 13-Nov-16 22:19:59

Winegum, yes I think a tub of formula might possibly be a waste of I never used it and couldn't pass it on to someone.

MoonlightMojitos Sun 13-Nov-16 22:20:21

If you're not 100% on the idea anyway then definately get some on hand just in case, like you said you don't want to be stressing out on your own if you don't have any and cant get out. What does it matter if you do "give up" on breastfeeding anyway? It's your choice and at least you're prepared to give it a go imo. I definately plan 100% on breastfeeding but I'll still have some on stand by just in case! My mum struggled with me and my SIL couldn't with my nephew so no matter how much you want to it might not work out anyway and there is no point stressing yourself out about when you're already tired, overwhelmed etc. Much better to be prepared either way. Good luck!

Scrumptiousbears Sun 13-Nov-16 22:20:35

My hospital gave me a bottle and a couple of bottles of pre made formula. I thought I would breastfeed but my milk didn't arrive and babies bloody sugar was getting worse so they told me I had no choice but to start formula feeding. I have heard though this depends on the hospital and not all will supply this free of charge. I personally would say there is no harm in being prepared at least with a few bottles of ready made as friends or family can always pop out and get some more if your hopes don't go to plan. I probably wouldn't buy a box of powder as this can be a waste if you don't need it. As for the people saying if you buy formula you won't make a proper go of breast feeding please ignore them. You don't need pressure like that and at least you won't have to worry about getting formula if all of else fails.

Good luck.

Nicketynac Sun 13-Nov-16 22:21:04

We bough a few ready made bottles but not the ones with the teats as they were really expensive. I felt more relaxed having a back-up plan and we used them eventually to give me a break some nights. They have a long expiry until opened (24-48hrs once opened I think) so you can save them for mixing in with food in six months time smile
Good luck!

Bellaposy Sun 13-Nov-16 22:25:04

Yes!! I fully intended to breastfeed to the point where I didn't really consider the possibility of not, however, for various reasons, my daughter simply couldn't do it. Despite four days in hospital, fantastic breastfeeding support and the full support of my DH, she never latched. Not once. Not even badly. I expressed for a while but couldn't keep it up and formula fed. I had totally skipped the formula chapters in the books, had no bottles, no formula, no clue. It massively added to our stress when DD was first born. Good luck! I hope your breastfeeding journey goes much better.

footballwidow12 Sun 13-Nov-16 22:27:23

I didn't want to breastfeed and had to take my own pre made formula (starter pack) in with me. If you aren't 100% then I would definitely get some formula in.....I would highly recommend Aptamil by the way. Oh and the most useful piece of kit I ever bought was the tommee tippee perfect prep machine - it's amazing!!! grin good luck xx

gunting Sun 13-Nov-16 22:28:02

Definitely get some. I planned to breastfeed but DS had other plans. I ended up going to Asda looking like death 14 hours after giving birth for aptamil. Not good at all!

WindInThePussyWillows Sun 13-Nov-16 22:35:04

I was 100% set on BF my twins but for health reasons it didn't work out so when we came home from hospital it was a mad dash with two premies to the shop for Formula!

Get some in.

Andbabymakesthree Sun 13-Nov-16 22:38:46

I wouldn't. My friends who have got some in just incase felt it was too easy to reach for it or well meaning ( but ill informed) relatives pushed them towards it.

Of course that's not to say once you've given a bottle of formula you can't go backto exclusively feeding ( something I didn't really realise with my first!) .

NerrSnerr Sun 13-Nov-16 22:42:39

I bought some just in case and didn't need it, but it was nice to have as a back up. I just stopped feeding my daughter aged 2 so buying a bit of formula didn't hinder her bf at all!

NaturalLife Sun 13-Nov-16 22:46:14

Yea, it would be a good idea to have some formular as backup for sure. But, hopefully you won't have to use it. Your stuff was made for your baby and they'll love it!

Hallamoo Sun 13-Nov-16 22:46:38

I wouldn't. Most supermarkets are open 24 hours a day.

The best piece of breastfeeding advice I received was 'if you're struggling and on the point of giving up - give it another 24 hours before making the decision.'

Everything always seemed better 24 hours later, or it gave me time to get advice or support, rather than making a snap decision when things are hard and always seem worse in the middle of the night. It's easy to reach for formula in those dark moments when you know it's in the cupboard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now