Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Why does my heart pound and go slow during braxton hick contractions?

(8 Posts)
Nikki2ol6 Sat 12-Nov-16 11:26:49

I'm 32 weeks and when I have a braxton hick contraction I get an awful pressure feeling in my chest and my heart pounds!! But it goes very slow!! It lasts more or less the length of the braxton hick then back to normal. Is that normal???

DefinitelyNotRuth Sat 12-Nov-16 17:54:56

I had this in late pregnancy and my midwife arranged for me to have a 24 hr heart monitor, just to be safe. Apparently though, it can happen in pregnancy because of the extra blood and hormones etc.
Check with your midwife if you're worried though smile

Jodie1982 Sat 12-Nov-16 17:57:45

I feel the same. It's like being suffocated isn't it. I also had it in my last pregnancy and had to wear a 24hr heart monitor. All was fine and is apparently normal. 😕

Nikki2ol6 Sat 12-Nov-16 20:30:08

It is like a very tight sensation in my chest and I feel my heart slow down and feel like it's about to explode.

Also last week I had chest pain and was breathless to went to see my GP because I have a bad cold and I thought oh no perhaps it's gone to a chest infection. But my lungs were clear she said and pulse was 210 so she sent me straight to hospital and I was met by a midwife and cardio dr who done a lot of tests on me and it came down to 130 in the end and they said my iron was a little low but not enough to cause that so I have to wear a 24hour ecg monitor in the next couple of weeks but to head to A&E if it happens again. But now this awful feeling with my braxton hicks is scaring me and I think what if I can't cope with labour contractions!!!! Did your heart do the same during real labour too??

DefinitelyNotRuth Sat 12-Nov-16 21:01:24

Oh love, that sounds different to mine and a bit more of a worry. I'd go to the walk in clinic if it happens again if I were you. Let us know how you get on x

DefinitelyNotRuth Tue 15-Nov-16 14:22:44

Hiya lovely,
Just wondering if you're ok?

Nikki2ol6 Tue 15-Nov-16 14:37:56

I am ok I have an app tomorrow morning at the ante natal clinic to see about it all and how it will be monitored during my labour and such. If I stand up during a braxton hick it doesn't slow down or pound so that's good it's only when I'm sitting down. It has been going fast again but only around 130 but it slows down after half an hour and I feel fine again

Shemozzle Thu 17-Nov-16 01:03:33

I get this! Had it last pregnancy too and googled and it seemed totally normal. I'm 35 weeks and just had one as I was reading the post! It never even occurred to me to mention to a midwife. Eek! I really think it is normal though, just caused by a surge of adrenaline which is what you get with normal contractions to help with labour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now