Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Carrying maternity notes around?

(44 Posts)
JosephineMaynard Thu 10-Nov-16 15:35:35

Do people carry maternity notes around with them everywhere when nearing full term?

I'm almost 36 weeks now - 3rd pregnancy and furthest along I've got before was 37+1 weeks - and at the minute I've generally been leaving them at home unless I've got medical appointments.

Does that sound okay, or should I be taking them everywhere with me in case things kick off suddenly and I don't have time to stop off at home to pick them up on the way to the hospital?

Pootles2010 Thu 10-Nov-16 15:37:47

No you really should keep them with you! I know it's a pain but it's pretty vital.

SpaceDinosaur Thu 10-Nov-16 15:39:44

Got a massive bollocking from my midwife for not carrying mine about.

They're big and it's a PITA but they tell you for important reasons

lemoncakes Thu 10-Nov-16 15:44:47

I kept mine in the car from about 36 weeks onwards as then they were always at hand - I drove to work and, well, everywhere really so if something happened they would be with me. If they fit in your handbag I would definitely keep them in there, or in the car if appropriate.

MrEBear Thu 10-Nov-16 15:45:20

If you have a car leave them in the car.

billabye Thu 10-Nov-16 15:46:48

35 weeks here. I don't carry mine around and I've not been told to. They're with my hospital bag at home. Having said that I'm not planning on traveling far from home or the hospital in the last few weeks due to a fast labour last time.

Mozfan1 Thu 10-Nov-16 15:50:06

Nope. Got a memory like a sieve so forget them all the time anyway. Don't know why it's not all computerised tbh, seems really archaic

ConvincingLiar Thu 10-Nov-16 16:19:29

I've been told to carry them from the outset. I just leave them in the car. In the last pregnancy I photocopied key pages to take when on trips away.

5minutestobed Thu 10-Nov-16 16:23:36

I was never told to carry mine with either pregnancy.

JosephineMaynard Thu 10-Nov-16 16:23:50

I suppose it's not all computerised as appointments may happen in different places?

E.g. My routine midwife appointments are at the GP surgery. Scans and consultant appointments at the hospital I'm planning on giving birth at.
Theoretically possible baby will be born elsewhere - say if I go into labour while a few hours away, or if labour ward is so full they send me to another hospital when I go into labour.

So paper notes avoid the situation where it's all on someone else's computer system as the NHS computer systems aren't all interlinked?

The notes won't fit in my handbag. I guess leaving them in the car if I'm out in that is an option.

summerskittles91 Thu 10-Nov-16 16:24:21

Only 19 weeks but from 16 weeks after being in hospital I was told to keep them with me at all time (I keep them in the car whenever I go anywhere including work) Was told should anything happen in an emergency whether I'm close to home or not it would be helpful.

DrWhy Thu 10-Nov-16 16:26:57

I kept them with me all the time, ether work bag or oversized handbag. Was very helpful when I had to do an emergency stop in the car and was worried I'd hurt the baby, I was told to come in as soon as possible, I was 5 mins from the hospital my house was 35 mins and they wanted me to bring my notes. It's really not a huge inconvenience to at least have them in the car.

Diamondsandpears Thu 10-Nov-16 16:30:13

Take them with you! Keep in the car or in the changing bag if you have another little one and still use one.

Normandy144 Thu 10-Nov-16 16:35:32

I didn't. Had my first baby overseas and the midwives kept my notes. Second baby in the UK and I had no idea it was a thing. I think if you are unlikely to go past 37 weeks and you are 36 weeks now, it seems like a good idea to shove them in the car but I think unnecessary to carry them about your person 24 hours a day!

datingbarb Thu 10-Nov-16 16:37:01

4 babies and never carried mine about, just lived on top of fridge and taken to appointments blush

frikadela01 Thu 10-Nov-16 16:41:16

All computerised notes in my trust thank God.

My midwife did say she recommends paper copies (which are free and take about 5 days to come) after 36 weeks if you plan on travelling anyware outside of area and/or have a complicated pregnancy.

I didn't bother despite having hypertension and obstetric cholestasis since I knew I wouldn't be going anywhere.

milkshakeandmonstermunch Thu 10-Nov-16 16:44:52

I kept mine in the car once I hit my third trimester. My last labour was really quick so I wouldn't have had time to go home for them (went into labour in the middle of the night anyway).

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Thu 10-Nov-16 16:49:12

You are supposed to, but I didn't, unless I was going somewhere far from home or DH wouldn't have been able to collect them for me

I was worried I'd lose them (public transport/ walk everywhere so couldn't leave in car)
Also they are huge

I'm a doctor blush so I remembered the important details and figured I could weather any midwife bollocking!

AyeAmarok Thu 10-Nov-16 16:53:27

Oh shit, this didn't even occur to me and I'm 40 weeks tomorrow! Mine aren't even in my hospital bag and I never bring them anywhere except Midwife appointments, and definitely wouldn't have thought to grab them before setting off for the hospital blush

Good thread OP!

IDreamOfPuffins Thu 10-Nov-16 17:06:22

I don't understand why it has to be a giant folder to lug about! I wish they'd a) get on with the NHS database they keep talking about, or b) give everyone some sort of credit card-sized thing to carry, which has vital medical details encoded on it and could be read by any hospital system.

Dontstepinthecowpat Thu 10-Nov-16 17:09:00

I did have mine with me but baby number 3 only gave me 19 minutes of labour so. I one had time to read them grin

Dontstepinthecowpat Thu 10-Nov-16 17:09:12

*no one

Kel1234 Thu 10-Nov-16 17:14:06

I didn't carry mine anywhere

Portobelly Thu 10-Nov-16 17:15:52

I found myself 2 hours from home when I needed mine.
You should carry them with you.

Peopleplease Thu 10-Nov-16 17:52:49

What information is in these notes?! I'm in Ireland - we have a small cardboard card (think a4 folded in 3) and that's it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now