Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is anyone else's pet following them around in late pregnancy??

(21 Posts)
Nikki2ol6 Wed 09-Nov-16 19:49:53

I'm 32wks and my chihuahua is following me around like a bad smell!! He's 2 steps behind me constantly and wants to be on my knee when ever I sit down. If I go out the house he comes to the door when I leave and try's to come with me. When i return I peep through the glass first and see him asleep right by the front door waiting for me.
He's not normally like this! Is anyone else's pet being like this? Can they sense things?

sj257 Wed 09-Nov-16 20:00:26

One of my cats has been all over me throughout the pregnancy, 30 weeks now

taxingtimes Wed 09-Nov-16 20:04:06

Mine went the other way and started ingnoring me and stopped coming upstairs with me when I went to bed.

MyGreenSofa Wed 09-Nov-16 20:07:13

My dog did this. She was constantly trying to sit on my lap which she had never really done before.

Umblubblub Wed 09-Nov-16 20:13:41

One of my cats follows me literally everywhere. Before I was pregnant, she virtually ignored me unless she wanted food. She's never been a lap cat, but tries to get on my lap whenever I sit down, and if she can't do that she'll sit right next to me with her paw on my tummy. I'm 18 weeks and must have accidentally tripped over her/trod on her tail more times in the last 18 weeks than in the previous 7 years I've had her! It's very sweet, but kind of annoying and slightly freaks me out. confused

Nikki2ol6 Wed 09-Nov-16 20:19:39

lol yea it is sweet but he follows me to the toilet and I went in the shower before and when I came out he was sitting at the bathroom door staring at it lol
With my last baby he was not like this and when I brought my baby home he had the cheek to growl at him!! Hope he's nicer this time lol

lilyborderterrier Wed 09-Nov-16 20:24:15

Aw I remember when my Border Terrier did that when I was pregnant. She was ace, especially through the traumas of early breastfeeding my daughter. She would curl up on my bump and then next to me and the baby. Aw Happy memories xx

shhhhSleeping Thu 10-Nov-16 06:56:19

Yes! Totally forgotten about it from dc1 but now it's clicked why I keep treading on my cat - he's become my shadow the last few weeks.

Nikki2ol6 Thu 10-Nov-16 11:06:23

I wonder why they do it! He's currently snoozing on my knee lol

HeyMacWey Thu 10-Nov-16 11:11:37

Yes - my cats were practically clambering over me to sit on my bump.
Towards the end of my pg they also started bringing bigger and bigger 'treats' -bloody live birds home for me.

Chemistria Thu 10-Nov-16 11:13:02

yeah my cat Phatty only loves me when i'm over 25 weeks pregnant ! can't get away from him lol. hardly see him otherwise

Mybugslife Thu 10-Nov-16 11:14:21

Late pregnancy? My lab has followed me around the whole bloody time. I swear he knew I was pregnant before I did! He even has to sit in the bathroom and watch me shower/have a bath, otherwise he sits outside the door and cries!

He's been exactly the same in all my other pregnancies and is even worse after we lost our son and then had a miscarriage after that.
Although, he's bloody cute and super gentle with me and just wants to snuggle all the time...it does get a little annoying!

roseteapot101 Thu 10-Nov-16 11:18:50

This is a well known and strange phenomenon with pets.Happens with both cats and dogs for some strange reason sometimes they just start following a pregnant member of the family

AudreyBradshaw Thu 10-Nov-16 11:49:41

Two chihuahuas, both of them have been obsessed with sitting on my knee since I've been pregnant. The girldog is now looking "worried" all the time and following me about. Boydog just likes lying on my belly. 38+1. My sister is convinced girldog knows I'm about to go into labour. She's never forgiven me for getting boydog really grin

Maybe it's a hormonal /pheromone thing.

icclemunchy Thu 10-Nov-16 11:52:08

My dogs weren't fussed at all but he neighbours cat used to leave dead mice on my doorstep for me, he did it for the pregnant lady up the road too so I'm guessing we needed feeding up grin

MrsPotatoHead80 Thu 10-Nov-16 12:23:41

Mine isn't following me around but has been very protective & keeps barking at DH if he comes near me in a manner he deems unacceptable. DH thinks this is hilarious & keeps pretending to hit me to wind him up hmm

kikisdelivery Thu 10-Nov-16 17:54:28

My cats constantly follow me round, pregnant or not, whingeing for food! Gluttons.

Becciilouisex3 Thu 10-Nov-16 17:59:21

My cat was like my shadow. Literally couldn't even go for a crap without him crying outside the door! DP said he practically tore the house apart when I spent the night at the hospital after labour and sat at the window crying for me!

Animals definitely have a sixth sense!!

MrsRhubarb Thu 10-Nov-16 18:47:53

One of my cats seems to magically appear on me whenever I sit down. Has done pretty much since I found out I was pregnat. She's like a little hot water bottle.

doghairinmytea Thu 10-Nov-16 19:32:35

My greyhound did this. His nose is also stomach height and he kept sniffing my bump.

Booboostwo Thu 10-Nov-16 20:02:37

My German Spitz was like that. She was stuck on me and couldn't leave me out of her sight during the whole of the pregnancy. Luckily she relaxed once the baby was born.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now