Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Has anyone actually had a successful sweep?

(36 Posts)
ItchyFoot Wed 09-Nov-16 10:57:06

I had two unsuccessful sweeps with dc1 and all I seem to read on here is similar experiences.
I'm 40+3 with dc2 and have a midwife appointment where I think she'll offer me a sweep but honestly is it really worth it?

ItchyFoot Wed 09-Nov-16 11:19:26

Bump

BossWitch Wed 09-Nov-16 11:21:03

I had a sweep the day before my due date and gave birth the next day, but who knows if the sweep had anything to do with it?

If you don't want one, don't have it. The baby will come out eventually!

SprogletsMum Wed 09-Nov-16 11:21:30

I did with dc3. Had a sweep on the Friday night went into labour Saturday at 6pm dc born at 9pm. But, I think she was on her way anyway and the sweep might or might not have helped.

gaggiagirl Wed 09-Nov-16 11:22:02

Not worth it! It will hurt and won't necessarily make baby arrive any faster. I'm full term and declining sweeps if I get offered them.

ItchyFoot Wed 09-Nov-16 11:28:53

It definitely wasn't my favourite part of pregnancy last time. I'm just a bit desperate. Dc1 was 13 days late and I'm just so fed up.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 09-Nov-16 11:30:55

I believe the evidence shows that it you were about to go into labour anyway it may stay start you off, so pretty pointless IMO.

I'd refuse the sweep.

LemonBreeland Wed 09-Nov-16 11:40:35

I did with DS2 but when the sweep was done I was already 3cm dilated, so it was pretty likely I was heading into labour anyway.

expatinscotland Wed 09-Nov-16 11:42:04

I did with my third child. Had it at 40 weeks at noon and was in labour by 6pm.

Janek Wed 09-Nov-16 11:44:06

I had two sweeps with DD1 (the first a week after my due date, the second whilst I was at the hospital being booked in for an induction, I was in labour before I left the hospital (supposedly to return the next morning for said induction)).

I had four (i think...) sweeps with DD2 (the first before my 'official' due date, but after my own-by-dates due date, the subsequent three over the next 12 days). The last one put me into labour.

To me it was worth having them (all six times) as I avoided induction, although who knows if I would have gone into labour spontaneously anyway? I suspect not in time to avoid induction with either dd actually.

Mouthfulofquiz Wed 09-Nov-16 11:44:55

I had one at 41 weeks and 5 days... I had the baby the same day, about 8 hours later. I do think it worked, but it was very vigorous and my cervix was definitely ready. I just desperately wanted to avoid being induced. And I missed it by the skin of my teeth!

newmumwithquestions Wed 09-Nov-16 11:50:13

I did with DD1, was 1cm when she did it but my cervix was posterior. She moved it so it was anterior and I went into labour the following day (within 24 hours) so I'm guessing it kicked it off.
I did with DD2 and went into labour 2 days later so I'm guessing it didn't do anything as it would have been faster?

It depends, I didn't want to be induced so was willing to try the alternatives. If you're happy to be induced then say no.

OutnumberedbyFurchesters Wed 09-Nov-16 11:51:52

Had a sweep 1.30pm on the Thursday. No signs of labour previous to this.

DD born early hours of Saturday Morning.

cantpooinpeace Wed 09-Nov-16 11:55:20

Both of mine induced labour, was swept on my due date for both pregnancies.

Came out with immediate period pains & they both progressed nicely from there - two natural lovely births!

ItchyFoot Wed 09-Nov-16 12:00:21

I think I'll just bite the bullet and do it. Think I'd be annoyed at myself if I didn't try everything. I'll have it done and then go for a wander round tesco and see what happens.

Kel1234 Wed 09-Nov-16 15:02:14

I went into early labour on the Tuesday afternoon, having infrequent contractions. I was offered the sweep on the Wednesday but declined as I said I wanted to see if things progressed naturally. They didn't, so I had the sweep at 3pm on the Friday. After that the contractions started to get stronger. I went to the birth centre at 9pm. My waters didn't break naturally as the head wasn't fully engaged, so the midwife had to break them herself at 3am. Then at 6.58am my baby was born, no problem at all, all natural.

Kel1234 Wed 09-Nov-16 15:03:24

I meant to say that I was 40+6 when my baby was born

ItchyFoot Wed 09-Nov-16 15:18:23

Well I had the sweep. She said she managed to stretch me 3-4 centimetres and things look favourable. Trudged my way round tesco afterwards so just waiting to see if any of that helped.

MargaretCabbage Wed 09-Nov-16 15:31:47

I had two successful sweeps. At 40+4 with my first, my midwife only just managed to do it and said it probably wouldn't work, but labour started the following evening. I had another one at 40+4 with my second, with a different midwife and that did nothing, then another at 40+11 with the midwife from my first pregnancy, and labour started an hour later.

Good luck, I hope it kicks off for you soon.

Freezingwinter Wed 09-Nov-16 15:32:47

I had a sweep on the day before I went into labour. It definitely seemed to work for me.

0phelia Wed 09-Nov-16 15:35:50

My sweeps were pointless. 10 days overdue after 2 sweeps.
I think it helps with the psychological element, like well at least I tried.

LumelaMme Wed 09-Nov-16 15:46:10

I was well overdue with DC3. First sweep at about 40+7 did nothing, next sweep a few days later kicked things off.

Bumptittybump Wed 09-Nov-16 16:01:12

Depends on how uncomfortable/painful you found them before and how desperate you are to get things going. I passed last week, but had one at 41 week appointment on Monday. It was fine, just felt a bit tender for a few hours afterwards. Midwife said I was about 2cm but cervix posterior so doubtful would make a difference and seems she was right. I'm thinking of trying to get in for another on Friday though as really want to avoid being induced again this time (booked in for Monday).

ItchyFoot Wed 09-Nov-16 16:09:05

I'm booked in for another on Saturday if this one doesn't take.

ItchyFoot Thu 10-Nov-16 10:48:58

Well I can join the ranks of successful sweepers! Contractions started just after 3am dd2 born at 6:45am

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now