Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy phobia

(9 Posts)
AnnaLiz12 Wed 09-Nov-16 05:34:52

Thread
How can I control my pregnancy phobia? I am really tensed, it is my 3rd trimester. I am afraid whether my fear reflects in my child. I am worried about the pain that I have to face. I don't have guts to see a drop blood, I don't know how would I face it. I was happy during the first trimester but now I am afraid. And recently I read about birth injuries www.campisilaw.ca/birth-injury-lawyers/ that may happen due to the improper treatment. I am afraid something like that happens to me. I need to take some preventive measures. How can I know if some malpractices happened? Also, I need to control my phobia. Please, someone, advise me. I am doing meditation, but there is no change. I think, I need to think positive. Please suggest some solutions.

SmallBee Wed 09-Nov-16 05:42:13

What support have you got in place at the moment?
Share your concerns with your midwife and birth partner.
Look into hiring a doula so there is someone else you can trust.
Consider asking for an elective c section which will allow you to know what will happen.
Post birth most hospitals offer a midwife listening service where a midwife will walk you through what happened.

SeventeenRainbeaus Wed 09-Nov-16 12:05:27

I thin the best thing you can do educate yourself about absolutely everything you can. So you know what will happen and what shouldn't happen. You will be more confident in your ability to handle it all.

A doula will be invaluable. They will advocate you for and voice your wishes. They will support you through whatever happens and should explain what is going on. It's likely that with a doula present your rights are far more protected and the chance of intervention and emergency /c-sections are reduced.

Regarding birth injuries, researching about why intervention is used should help you decide whether it's the right option. There are sometimes alternatives before resorting to interventions and you have the right to decline whatever you want. Reducing the likelihood of intervention is also good to know.

- Upright positions for labour and delivery
- Do not lay on your back or reclining position (it's the worst position to be in as it's not natural)
- Ty not to actively push, your body can push the baby out itself with the reflex
- Do not push through the pain when it comes to 'the ring of fire' (crowning) you stop if it hurts and wait for skin to stretch sufficiently despite what health providers will tell you and then push gently and stopping when it hurts
- No one should tell YOU when YOU should be pushing, go with your body - it's not them giving birth!
- Water births are said to reduce trauma

The above will also help reduce the chance of tearing.

SeventeenRainbeaus Wed 09-Nov-16 12:09:46

Also stay away from the hospital for as long as possible, if of course you are having a hospital birth, as going in early will increase the chance of intervention. They put you on the clock and it's wrong!

Have you done this research during a previous pregnancy?

Wolfiefan Wed 09-Nov-16 12:12:08

Have you spoken to your GP or midwife about your fears? You do need to.

SmallBee Thu 10-Nov-16 11:18:34

I'd also recommend an antenatal class like Daisy Birthing, it focuses on labour, birth and techniques to help you cope.

PeachBellini123 Sat 12-Nov-16 16:47:15

Please don't google! There's so many horror stories and misinformation out there.

I second antenatal classes-meeting other mums to be can help lots.

Also talk to your midwife. Make sure you get lots of support.

SeventeenRainbeaus Mon 14-Nov-16 10:11:17

I didn't say Google if you are aiming that at me

...you could read Ina May Gaskin, Grantly Dick-Read and Sheila Kitzinger or Henci Goer to find out things no one else is going to tell you about avoiding intervention and how hospitals push things, the majority of midwives wont either unless you had previous issues and know what you're talking about. After a previously traumatic hospital birth and having a home birth now with my second I wish someone had told me about Ina May Gaskin! You don't need to go to hospital with your first either and no one said that - what a waste of a first-time experience!

PeachBellini123 Fri 18-Nov-16 20:41:55

Not aimed at you Seventeen. I thought the OP might be finding websites such as the one she mentioned through googling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now