Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Steroid injections

(5 Posts)
CupofTeaTime Tue 08-Nov-16 11:03:37

I'm 37 weeks today and will be having a c-section next Tuesday. Getting admitted to hospital tomorrow for two nights for steroid injections to ready baby's lungs, and as I have GD they need to continuously monitor my sugars. Anyone had experience of this who can give me an insight?

PonkAlert Tue 08-Nov-16 13:03:27

I had steroid injections when DD1 was induced at 34 weeks but not for DD2 who was induced at 37 weeks. 37 weeks is considered term so not necessary I thought? Is your baby measuring small?

The jabs are absolutely fine by the way. DD1 was born completely fine after them but she was quite big for her gestation (almost 6lb). My biggest piece of advice is look after yourself the next few days and get plenty of rest. You're going to be meeting your baby very soon!

Drmum123 Tue 08-Nov-16 13:26:18

Hi, whilst 37 weeks is considered term, there is a much increased risk of breathing difficulties in basis born at this gestation by elective c section, this is further increased in infants of diabetic mothers. This is because the physiological changes of labour do not kick start lung maturation. As such rcog guidelines are steroids for all elective c sections under 39 weeks. I am a neonatal doctor and trust me they make a MASSIVE difference and there is no way i would have a section at less than 39 weeks without steroid cover! Never had them myself, but mums on the unit say they hurt abit. Also steroids do screw with your sugars abit so your sugar control may go abit haywire....... But that is why you are in hospital! You are doing exactly the right thing for your baby!

PonkAlert Tue 08-Nov-16 15:43:33

Thanks for that dr I had no idea there was a difference with sections and breathing.

CupofTeaTime Tue 08-Nov-16 16:09:45

Great thank you Dr!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now