Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What excerise during pregnancy?

(11 Posts)
pinkcandyflossy Fri 04-Nov-16 17:13:11

Hi there, I used to run but that was before I had an injury so stopped at the beginning of this year. I have done yoga and got a lot out of it though I haven't been able to stick to is as just not enough time.

Any recommendations for enjoyable beneficial experise during pregnancy? And any DVD recommendations?

SheepyFun Fri 04-Nov-16 17:25:02

I kept cycling throughout my pregnancy, 50 miles a week (with the encouragement of every health care professional I spoke to). It's low impact, so kind on your joints as your weight goes up and your ligaments loosen. I last cycled at 37+4, the day before I was admitted. However the key think is that I kept cycling rather than started cycling - I don't think you'd be encouraged to do the latter, so if you haven't cycled reasonably recently, you might want to try something else.

Unexpectedbaby Fri 04-Nov-16 18:01:54

It's normally safe to continue with any physical activity that your body is used to anyway. You might not be able to actually perform as well as you could before, less stamina or strength, but if your not pushing your body past limits that were already in place you won't do any harm.

I know people who have continued to weight lift right up until the end of their pregnancy and have been absolutely fine, they have just had to listen to their body and take a bit more care than normal.

pinkcandyflossy Fri 04-Nov-16 18:40:39

Hmm ok so I think I am looking for something to start. I know I could do pregnancy yoga or pregnancy Pilates I guess...

Chickpearocker Fri 04-Nov-16 18:50:16

Anna saccone has a pregnancy workout on her YouTube channel, her personal trainer Lucy also has a channel and website which might give you some guidance smile

MoonlightMojitos Fri 04-Nov-16 19:13:50

It doesn't have to be a pregnancy class as long as your instructor knows what they are doing! I'm doing a normal pilates class which is good for toning there are just certain twists and inverted things to avoid. Zumba is another good one as long as you take it at your own pace (you should be able to hold a conversation, if you're breathing too hard for that you need to take it down a bit). Walking is also good and free!

Dietcokeandpizza10 Fri 04-Nov-16 19:15:22

iv got a tracy Anderson dvd and I love it I feel like im actually getting stronger and fitter doing it, there is a different disk for each month

chloechloe Fri 04-Nov-16 21:21:18

I would really recommend Lizbeth Garcia's 10 minute solution prenatal Pilates.

You can easily start doing it in pregnancy even if you've never done Pilates before and it actually gives you a good workout but in a way that feels beneficial for the baby. There are 5 x 10min circuits so you can mix and match depending on how much time you have.

It's also really professional whereas many other pregnancy DVDs are shockingly badly filmed and choreographed. Yes you Erin O'Brien

pinkcandyflossy Sat 05-Nov-16 17:29:36

Thanks chick, diet, and chloe some excellent ideas there! Exactly what I was looking for smile

albertcampionscat Sat 05-Nov-16 19:17:27

If you're in London Maternally Fit do good aerobics classes.

SockQueen Sat 05-Nov-16 19:32:41

I loved my Aquanatal class, both for the exercise (it's not hardcore, but if you do it properly you do feel like you've worked at the end of it) and because it was quite social! I reckon you'd be fine with most of a normal aquarobics class too, and just plain swimming is good. Also liked pregnancy yoga, though it was very gentle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now