Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Had enough :(!!! Placenta trouble

(3 Posts)
MyEternalSunshine Fri 04-Nov-16 12:12:47

I did post a few days ago I'll link below-
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/premature_birth/2771414-Low-lying-placenta-bleed-28-5

So to cover since my first post I had another bleed (couple of gushes again) and a large clot/piece of tissue at 11pm last night. Been back in hospital since. Same story, low laying placenta, wait till bleeding tapers off, then we'll send you home and see you next time it happens!sad I'm now 29+1 and losing the plot. The consultants told me it will continue to happen and we'll have to keep repeating this pattern until she's born (wether that is normal or not who tf knows!!) but I'm on high risk for premature delivery and an emergency csection sad massively need a hand hold. I don't want her out this early but at the same time I feel like I've got emotional whiplash! Someone please help me- share some stories- any words of comfort at all will be super appreciated flowers

Puggleface Fri 04-Nov-16 13:48:02

Hi sunshine I'm so sorry to hear what a tough time you are going through! Are you still in hospital now? Do they know where the bleeding is coming from and have they checked your cervix? If they haven't given you a full colour doppler scan already I'd ask for one now. It will show the blood flow from your placenta to the baby. Have the consultants given you any advise like going on bed rest? Have they discussed an early delivery with you like giving you steriod injections to help mature the babys lungs?
This must be a very worrying time for you, sending you positive vibes flowers

Sunshinegirl82 Fri 04-Nov-16 15:04:53

I had a low lying placenta and bleeds at 20 and 21 weeks. I can empathise with how you feel, it was honestly the most terrifying thing I have ever been through, I was a nervous wreck for the remainder of the pregnancy.

I assume you are now under consultant care? If not insist on being put under consultant care. Ask for regular scans and scans to check blood flow through the cord to baby. I found this helped managed the anxiety a bit.

Are you working? I was signed off and found this helped a lot too. I have a stressful, client facing job and couldn't face the thought of a bleed at work. I also felt that by resting I was doing everything I could to prevent bleeds. I know there is varying advice on this but my consultant advised taking it very easy and so I listened to her.

I don't think you can fully appreciate how terrifying something like this makes pregnancy unless you have been through it or something similar. I found myself distancing myself from the baby as I was convinced I wouldn't be bringing him home, it was awful.

In the end my placenta moved, the bleeds stopped and I delivered by emergency c-section at term. Ds is now 4.5 months and completely unaffected by the ordeal! Our bond was also unaffected.

You are 29 weeks already which is great. Your baby would have a fantastic chance of being absolutely fine even if born now. I researched loads of "low placenta bleed" stories when it happened to me and they were almost exclusively positive with lots of people even going overdue!

There is still a decent chance that your placenta might move and the bleeds might stop or lessen. Have they talked of keeping you in as you approach your due date? I found I was actually calmest whilst in hospital.

I wouldn't worry too much about the potential of a c-section. It's not ideal obviously but it is manageable with a bit of help.

You are already doing everything you can, just keep on going. I will keep everything crossed for you that things ease up and you make it to term without further incident. Pm me if you want to talk further, I know I felt very alone with my anxiety at the time. Take care of yourself xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now