Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity wear

(24 Posts)
Sgibb113 Mon 31-Oct-16 10:31:27

I'm starting a business start up and was wondering what the problems with maternity wear is so I can overcome this?

Fabulosososo Mon 31-Oct-16 10:44:11

Omg it's all in grey and black. It's hard to find any nice patterns especially on the high street. Work clothes are particularly hard to find. In terms of work trousers I found plain black ones or plain black ones...not even a grey option. I just find maternity clothes very plain and boring. Also some of the under bump trousers have a very tight or bulky waist band which hurts after some time.

CupofTeaTime Mon 31-Oct-16 10:45:59

Plus size options needed! And plus size night wear too.

ppandj Mon 31-Oct-16 10:50:20

I don't feel it really reflects fashion, it's very bland. ASOS probably have the best selection in terms of being up to date and there are some nice options for occasion wear but I find the day-to-day stuff and workwear boring.

crumble82 Mon 31-Oct-16 10:55:31

There are very few petite options or shorter length trousers. I'm 5ft 4 and my trousers are all turned up by between 3-5 inches and all my dresses are quite long. Seraphine are probably the best when it comes to length, I know if it is advertised as 'above the knee' it will be directly on my knee!

LondonYogaSuz Mon 31-Oct-16 10:58:16

Loads of trousers/jeans seem to focus on bootleg or skinny/leggings, it's like straight leg seems to vanish as an option!

LondonYogaSuz Mon 31-Oct-16 11:00:57

Oh god and as well as everything just being black, grey or white there is the focus on horizontal stripes or spots!! Some other options might be nice without having to pay a fortune!

Sixisthemagicnumber Mon 31-Oct-16 11:03:49

For those of us who have larger bumps maternity clothes get very small by the end of the pregnancy. I outgrew the bump bands on my jeans last time I was pregnant and all my t shirts looked ridiculously tight and short over the bump area by 8 months. I'm making my own clothes this time around smile

Bloopbleep Mon 31-Oct-16 11:15:33

I second plus size clothes. My first pregnancy I was a size 12 but ended up wearing H&M size 18-20 maternity denims which were still small on my bums Now I'm size 18 and they'd not pass my ankles.

paperandpaint Mon 31-Oct-16 17:28:21

I find it all plain or a bit prim - too many formal wrap dresses etc. I love the style of Hush clothes and would love to find something similar.

I also hate the tops with poppers for breastfeeding. I totally get that a lot of people want to be super discrete but it would be good to have clothes without these.

PotteringAlong Mon 31-Oct-16 17:31:11

I hate that shops have stopped selling them in store. Too many times I'm told they're online. I don't want to buy online; I want to try them on.

happylass Tue 01-Nov-16 06:46:55

Maternity trousers/jeans are an absolute nightmare for those of us who are longer of leg. Other than the bump (obviously!), I haven't changed shape anywhere else (still completely flat chested angry) and I find most maternity tops/dresses in my normal size too big in the bust/arm/shoulder area.

cantmakeme Tue 01-Nov-16 07:03:38

Not much funky stuff for different tastes. Expensive!

Jojo13 Tue 01-Nov-16 10:32:12

Agreed it's so annoying that a lot of stores now only sell online. I want to try stuff on, and sometimes you need an emergency something without wanting to order online!
I went into mothercare yesterday to have a quick look and, apart from some ok jeans, their tops and dresses were so frumpy looking and some of the material hideous.
I think most people want to just carry on wearing their usual clothes but with bump space, not suddenly start wearing floral, mid length polyester wrap dresses.
And yes, even as a person of average height, a lot of the jeans I find are too short.
Good luck!

RosieThorn Tue 01-Nov-16 10:42:44

I really struggle to get jeans or skirts that aren't miles too long because I am a larger size (tend to go for 16 - 18 in most maternity wear) and 5'4"

Celen Tue 01-Nov-16 10:49:08

Maternity jeans have been a nightmare to buy second time round. Sizing is too tight or too baggy. What would really help is for them to STILL have belt loops so if you're too big for normal jeans but not quite big for maternity jeans, you can still wear the maternity jeans with a belt.

Stacestoke Wed 02-Nov-16 16:31:58

My main problem is that I am a tall lady and I cannot find any comfortable jeans that are right for my height. They are all too short or super skinny jeans. I don't get on with tight skinny jeans and want a slightly more relaxed leg but not to a boot cut fit.

The other problem is that everything is such boring colours. LOTS of black! LOTS of stripes. Whoever decided that all pregnant women loved stripes is crazy. I would love some more brightly coloured things and more varied patterns please.

SnugglySnerd Wed 02-Nov-16 16:36:03

All the dresses seem to be designed for large breasts. Mine didn't change at all in my last pregnancy and have only got fractionally larger this time round but my bump is huge so I'm wearing clothes to fit over the bump but the bust is too loose and makes me feel like a little girl wearing her mum's clothes!

user1478099944 Wed 02-Nov-16 18:34:12

Hi I am 4"11 and I am finding it near on impossible to find trousers and jeans in a short leg. The ones available are very pricey and limited in selection! Very frustrating. Maybe something to consider for your new venture. Good luck!! smile

basket75 Wed 02-Nov-16 19:30:06

Really struggling to find evening / party wear. Everything is mumsy and frumpy sad

raviolidreaming Wed 02-Nov-16 20:51:37

I don't want to buy online; I want to try them

This for me too. I'm buying everything from New Look and H&M regardless of what other options are online.

SnugglySnerd Wed 02-Nov-16 21:29:04

I would prefer to try things on too. More so than when not pregnant as I have no idea if things will fit.

MyMrKnightley Wed 02-Nov-16 21:48:54

Longer skirts and at 5'2" the last month of pregnancy the skirts/dresses are all way above the knee. Don't like this normally but when 8+ months pregnant it makes me look as round as tall

LadyDawn Thu 03-Nov-16 12:56:10

Nothing fits my now massive bust.
Fabrics are too thin and I don't like that my belly button shows as well as waistbands and bra bands.
Fabircs need patterns and shaping so that I don't look like one big block.
Some maternity wear is too expensive for the amount of time they're needed.
Goodluck starting up your business, I think it would be a challenging business but it is needed too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now