Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Thrush!

(8 Posts)
Chaseley Sat 29-Oct-16 17:47:28

I'm 16 weeks pregnant and after a week of antibiotics, I've got thrush.
Can I use a pessary?? I'd try the cream first but it's all inside (tmi)
I'd rather wait and see if it'll go on it's own but I know from previous experience, that won't happen.
Has anyone else used a pessary during pregnancy??

PennyPinwheel Sat 29-Oct-16 17:54:16

Yes I did, repeatedly. I had thrush pretty much constantly from 6 weeks until delivery. Lots of midwives told me it was totally fine to use it, but to use a finger instead of the applicator. Pharmacies won't sell it to you if they know you are pregnant because of the licencing, but it can be prescribed for you.

Chaseley Sat 29-Oct-16 18:32:38

I've got the pessary which I was prescribed last year whilst I was on long term antibiotics as I almost always get thrush afterwards, I'm just worried to self treat

MyMrKnightley Sat 29-Oct-16 20:46:04

chaseley I was told by midwife that it was fine when I was about 18 weeks cream also fine. Can't use the tablet though.

pennypinwheel can you still use the pessary at term. 40 weeks and have woken up with it and of course doc's closed.

AddictedtoGreys Sat 29-Oct-16 22:11:34

I used the pessary plenty of times while pregnant, had thrush pretty much constantly as PP said.

gaggiagirl Sat 29-Oct-16 22:30:28

Get the pessary prescribed. Make sure the MW is aware of it though so it's on your notes.
I've had Thrush throughout most of this pregnancy and I got swabbed and a GTT because of it, so it could be an indicator of other things. Mine wasn't thankfully.

PennyPinwheel Sat 29-Oct-16 23:51:39

MyMr I don't know if you can at term, I last used it about 36 weeks. Then I used lots of cream and had an EMCS at 38 weeks. Nobody said there was a cut off as far as I remember, but I also can't remember anyone saying it was OK. The consultant did say I would need to try and get rid of the thrush before term (assuming vaginal delivery) because of the risk of the baby getting it at birth.

witchmountain Sun 30-Oct-16 18:08:43

This might not work if it's really taken hold, but I find I can keep thrush at bay by washing with E45 shower cream and then using E45 cream (externally). I found out you could use it from the NHS Direct site and really didn't think it would work but it has done. I was getting thrush every month and a six month course of the oral tablets did nothing to shift it, so I tried as a last resort. I still start to get it every month, mid cycle onwards, but E45 stops it. Wish the doctor had suggested it in the first place!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now