Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anterior placenta

(15 Posts)
NorthLondonMum83 Sat 29-Oct-16 10:30:38

20wks and still can't feel a thing - next scan is still over a week away due to holiday and difficulty with getting booked in. Not my first baby but last time lots of kicks by now. Is it normal or common with anterior placenta to not have movement by now? It feels so weird to be getting nothing at all!

Backingvocals Sat 29-Oct-16 10:40:41

Yes very normal. I felt nothing at all - apart from sort of squirmy feeling at the end. No kicks. She's ten now grin

DS was different. No anterior placenta so plenty of kicks.

LuckySantangelo1 Sat 29-Oct-16 10:47:21

I had this! But I could feel him move by 22 weeks. Not much at all at first but by the end I was being battered.

Barefootcontessa84 Sat 29-Oct-16 11:34:04

I've got an anterior placenta too and coming up to 20 weeks. Occasionally think I can feel something, then nothing for days. I was told to give it a few more weeks, and even then the movements will be quite muffled.

RuskBaby Sat 29-Oct-16 12:22:52

I didn't feel a thing until 26 weeks.

shimmysparkles Sat 29-Oct-16 13:07:16

Yep normal. Had anterior placenta and didn't feel kicks until 24 weeks.

Vixxfacee Sat 29-Oct-16 14:08:27

I have this too. Didn't feel any flutters building up but movement at 20 weeks. Very sporadic, I'm 27 weeks now and the last few days been feeling more but nothing like what I've read others feel!

ilovetosleep Sat 29-Oct-16 14:11:20

Does it always mean you can't feel movement? I had my 12 week scan, baby no3, and my notes say 'placenta positioned anteriorly'. She didn't say anything about it, but I'm convinced I can feel movement already. Is that not possible then? Its 3rd baby so entirely possible and I do know what it feels like so I 'm sure I'm not imagining it.

Also can placentas move as the uterus grows? ie slightly to one side so you might feel movements on the other side?

Ladybunnyfluff Sat 29-Oct-16 14:15:24

DD had an anterior placenta but I felt her regularly by about 16 weeks. When this baby (currently 28 weeks with a posterior placenta) wasn't felt by the same time my midwife was happy to find a heartbeat to reassure me etc. If you are concerned don't be afraid to ask your midwife etc.

Janubub Sat 29-Oct-16 16:09:40

I have an anterior placenta and was assured at the 20w scan that it would be a while before I could feel baby. I felt it that later same day for the first time, and so did DH. So, you might feel baby soon but I was reassured not to worry if that didn't happen. Mine has been pretty energetic since about 24-25w where we both can see and feel it move.

NorthLondonMum83 Sat 29-Oct-16 16:12:43

Thanks all! We heard heartbeat about ten days ago at routine appt, she told me not to worry, but it is unnerving. If this was my first I'd probably worry less as wouldn't know what to expect but as I had a little one so recently - I'm heading into two under two territory God help me smile and I recall the acrobatics so well it's probably even stranger.

chattygranny Sat 29-Oct-16 16:23:12

All my 5 pregnancies had anterior placentas. I suppose it's all I knew so, yes, just butterfly movements at the start but once the baby gets big enough you'll probably feel the legs and elbows and the movements near the cervix. I think it's in those weeks 16-24 when it affects things. Don't worry.

Kione Sat 29-Oct-16 16:26:58

Same with me and I was so worried (miscarriage earlier in the year) that I had a private scan, all ok.
I am 32 weeks now and the movements are crazy, it hurts! But I am told he is a big baby...
The placenta does move but usually upwards as the uterus expand, I was told.

Jodie1982 Sat 29-Oct-16 22:26:35

I have an anterior placenta ( as I did in previous pregnancies) and feel a lot of movement. Too much sometimes. 😑 currently 29+1 wks. I've heard a lot of mummy's to be with anterior placenta not feeling much. Once baby is bigger you'll feel lots of movement 😊

BabyBumpHopeful Sun 30-Oct-16 06:23:47

I'm 34 weeks with an anterior placenta and feel him at night but otherwise not a whole heap. I didn't start to feel him at all till mid to late 20's. This is my first.

"Anterior" is very catch-all when you think about it. Mine is centered over my belly button so I feel next to nothing in that area, and normally just at the top, bottom and side of my bump. Obviously someone who has one that sits lower or higher, or has a bigger or smaller placenta will feel less/more.

Also, if it's not your first you know what it's supposed to feel like so you recognise the feelings more readily than a FTM.

Not everyone is the same smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now