Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

A gift from new baby to sibling

(22 Posts)
MilkyMamma Thu 27-Oct-16 15:37:41

Is anyone doing this? Has anyone done it in the past?

I've ordered a book called 'A New Baby' and perhaps will get a tacky 'Big Brother' t-shirt for him to wear for taking baby home from hospital.

But does anyone have any ideas please? I don't want something that would make a mess/mean lots of tidying if he wants to get it out in hospital.

I thought it would be sweet to get him a little toy nappy bag but they are all pink! Perhaps I should just wait and see what toys he's enjoying closer to the time and get something along those lines.

user1467976192 Thu 27-Oct-16 15:38:51

My brother was born around Christmas so we got a selection box

Wolfiefan Thu 27-Oct-16 15:40:34

My DS gave his baby sister a cuddly bunny he had chosen. "She" gave him a DS game he really wanted. Daft really but helped to make the first meeting really special!

TheBeaconsAreLit Thu 27-Oct-16 15:43:09

My sister was born when I was almost 4 and 'she' got me one of those big colouring sets with crayons, pens, pencils etc. I thought it was brilliant! It also kept me occupied in the corner of the hospital room while other family was visiting.

228agreenend Thu 27-Oct-16 15:43:24

Ds2 gave ds 1 some toy cars when he was born.

WatchingFromTheWings Thu 27-Oct-16 15:46:13

My youngest gave his 4 older siblings bears with jumpers swing 'best big brother/sister'.

WatchingFromTheWings Thu 27-Oct-16 15:46:28

Swing?!? Saying!!

MilkyMamma Thu 27-Oct-16 15:47:25

We're doing the cuddly bunny from him to new baby, we've got one very similar to his own just a different colour, he'll enjoy bringing that in to hospital.

Oh goodness, I feel quite emotional thinking about it!

I guess something to keep him very busy would be a good idea since I'll be feeding baby a lot in the early days!

metaphoricus Thu 27-Oct-16 15:47:53

Is anyone doing this? Has anyone done it in the past?

In my neck of the woods it's an ages old tradition.

5moreminutes Thu 27-Oct-16 15:48:03

How old is he?

DC2 got DC1 a watch (she was only 2 but had wanted one for a couple of months and it confirmed and made her proud of her Big status - it wasn't at all expensive.)

DD3 got DC1 & 2 inline skates because they really, really wanted them and it got them out in the garden - he was a late spring baby.

Yes I think it really helped. I wouldn't get anything too much about babies but something that confirms they are the big one who can do stuff babies can't and makes them feel positive and proud about not being a baby any more. That's what worked for us anyway - books about being a big sibling are for getting them used to the idea in the 3rd trimester imo.

DefinitelyNotRuth Thu 27-Oct-16 15:49:27

Our DD1 is into Winnie the Pooh, so DD2 got her a little eeyore and a hardback copy of the stories. That way, she had something to play with and something special to keep.

MilkyMamma Thu 27-Oct-16 15:52:18

Hell be 2.5 when baby arrives. I LOVE the watch idea! He would love that!

The book I've got has a picture of a child helping carry a car seat, I thought that would be quite fitting for him to get because I can just imagine him trying to help his daddy carry his new baby brother/sister to the car.

metaphoricus I always thought it was, same as I when go to meet new babies of friends/family I take a gift for siblings, so they don't feel left out.

MilkyMamma Thu 27-Oct-16 15:52:44

He'll*

milkjetmum Thu 27-Oct-16 15:54:06

Depends on the age gap I suppose (I'm not sure a 2 yr old would 'get' that it was a significant gift)

Dd was 3yr4mo when Dd2 arrived, and she still okays with the gift she got from Dd2 almost 3years later and definitely knows who it's from and why (cuddly toy)

SoupDragon Thu 27-Oct-16 15:57:49

DS2 gave his 2 yr old brother a plastic shark. I can't remember why now but it made sense at the time!!

EvansOvalPies Thu 27-Oct-16 16:19:03

When my baby sister was born my Dad took me to a toy shop to choose a present from her. I chose a toy tea set and remember it very well, dusky pink saucers and tea plates, light grey cups and teapot with a little black flower motif on it - I absolutely loved it, and it was a present from the baby! I was eight years old at the time, that was 49 years ago. I remember the excitement of choosing something for myself, as much as anything, I think.

Inthehighcastle Thu 27-Oct-16 16:24:07

We had a bag of cheap little presents all wrapped up then if anyone came over with a present for the baby we made sure they gave DS one too. Then any left over ones the baby just kept randomly leaving in the porch for him to find. It definitely helped.

FeelingSmurfy Thu 27-Oct-16 16:36:46

Same as highcastle got things like a multipacks of cars and split them, poundshop stuff, a mini bag of haribo. It really didn't matter it was just the fact that he got something, didn't matter that the baby got an expensive present, at that age it's more about having same number etc. I don't expect other people to think, although quite a few did, which is why we had some prepared.

Always made sure visitors made a fuss of eldest child before they saw/held the baby too. The baby didn't know if it was getting attention first etc but the eldest does. This definitely helped with jealousy, it was like all of these people were coming to see him and then he did the big brother duty of showing off the new baby

Whatsername17 Thu 27-Oct-16 17:09:36

5yo dd is getting a cheap point and click camera from her baby sister and a photo album.

MouseLove Thu 27-Oct-16 19:34:41

Over 23 year ago when my younger sister was born. I was 9 and she got me a smash hits cd. I was totally chuffed and bragged about it to all my friends. "MY new baby sister got me this super cool CD"

grin

ConvincingLiar Thu 27-Oct-16 20:29:58

I had a glow worm doll thing at age 4.5. DS will be 2y9m. Wondered about getting him a balance bike but I think there's a fair chance he'll meet baby in hospital so that won't fit in hospital bag.

MilkyMamma Fri 28-Oct-16 10:32:01

it was like all of these people were coming to see him and then he did the big brother duty of showing off the new baby

Love this idea, hopefully it'll help keep the jealousy at bay, it must be really hard for a 2 year old!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now