Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

strange baby movements

(12 Posts)
thecatsarecrazy Wed 26-Oct-16 09:01:54

I'm 26 weeks pregnant with my 3rd. I'm a bit worried as this pregnancy feels different. I get the pokes and prods and hic ups but something else. I'm worried my baby is having a fit. Its the only way I can describe it. Has anyone else had anything similar? I got up for a wee in the night and baby starting moving after, it worried me a bit and I found it hard to get back to sleep. Its like a shaking or judder.

Strawberry90 Wed 26-Oct-16 09:04:01

Go to your nearest day assessment unit and ask for a scan for unusual movements. It might just be baby in strange position but you can't be too careful. Depends where you live but most areas have walk in self referral clinics.

RuskBaby Wed 26-Oct-16 10:21:53

Mine gives shudder movements, there are previous posts on here too with others saying the same. Whilst I wouldn't be worried if you are then as op said go get checked.

Nikki2ol6 Wed 26-Oct-16 10:24:21

My first baby did this once. Lasted about 15 seconds. She was perfectly still then just began vibrating! Afterwards she stopped and didn't move for a while. I was in college at the time and didn't think too much of it but it did remind me of someone having a fit. It never happened again and she's a healthy child so i have no idea what happened that morning. You could always ring maternity and explain and see what they say

AliceInHinterland Wed 26-Oct-16 10:26:16

Go with your instincts if you think it needs checking out - but I had this with both, quite localised and after they were born their legs did a funny juddery thing and I knew it was the same thing. It's normal and to do with their immature nervous system over-firing. It felt like mice running around to me, not a full on fit though.

Becciilouisex3 Wed 26-Oct-16 10:55:57

I had this a couple of times during pregnancy and it terrified me! It felt like a shudder but did remind me of someone fitting! I never thought much of it as DS was always monitored as being healthy during pregnancy and always moved normally before and after.

He seems to be a perfectly healthy little boy though and seeing what the other posters have written I'd say it can be a normal movement for some of us.

If you're worried about it definitely give your midwife a call though. You can never be too cautious and hopefully they can give you some peace of mind smile

smellsofelderberries Wed 26-Oct-16 12:26:18

I went for weeks feeling movements like this and it made me so panicky! Apparently it's their nervous system developing, and thankfully she's stopped doing the tremor thing now, but in my case it was a perfectly normal thing.

hopeful31yrs Wed 26-Oct-16 12:47:38

Have also felt this with both my DD and this pregnancy. Ive googled it (i know!) and it seems its very common. I was never too worried about it but yes to getting checked out if you're concerned - a midwife/doctor will be more than happy to do that for you.

MrsH87 Wed 26-Oct-16 14:38:31

Mine does this too! I'm almost 28 weeks and she's has done it a few times over the past couple of weeks. It's never worried me, but she's my first and I don't have any comparison!

AudreyBradshaw Wed 26-Oct-16 14:54:41

Does it el like the baby is vibrating? I had that for weeks, it never worried me and to from the research I did google it was something to do with the uterus spasming or because baby has more room/fluid so any jerky movement while they're practising all of the things babies practice while their nervous system develops and they get used to their arms and legs, will exacerbate what you feel.

If you're worried, trust your instinct, go get seen. It's never a waste of time to go get checked.

thecatsarecrazy Fri 28-Oct-16 09:27:59

I haven't felt it for a few days now. We don't have anywhere I can easily be seen. I don't even know if I will have a labour ward by the time baby is due because they're threatening to close it sad. Its annoying too because I'm on my 3rd pregnancy I hardly see a midwife. Seen her twice so far seeing her again Monday.

AliceInHinterland Fri 28-Oct-16 10:19:14

Hopefully she will be able to put your mind at rest. I'm sorry you're faced with uncertainty about your labour ward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now