Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How soon does it take for a negative pregnancy test after suspected miscarriage??

(12 Posts)
NannyGR Wed 26-Oct-16 08:10:29

Just that really. Was told I was having a suspected miscarriage just over a week ago... have bleed ever since but not an awful lot and no cramps, the doctor suspected a miscarriage as my cervix was slightly open. Took a pregnancy test this morning and came up instantly positive... looking for a small piece of hope to hold on to... this is my first pregnancy after ttc 4 years.

Happygojo86 Wed 26-Oct-16 08:21:19

It took me 2 weeks after medical management of a miscarriage to get a negative test. If you haven't passed any clots, I would go back to your doctors/epau for advice. If you are having a mc, it may be that you have retained 'products' (awful term but 'products of conception is the term they use). After my MC I fell pregnant again 6 weeks later and now have a 1 yo and I am now 20 weeks pregnant again, so there is hope xxx

Nikki2ol6 Wed 26-Oct-16 09:12:38

Mine was super faint the day after the bleeding started. Do you feel pregnant? Are your symptoms getting stronger?

Kittenrush Wed 26-Oct-16 09:19:13

It can take up to 9 weeks for the hcg to clear from your system sad sorry to tell you. I miscarried at 12 weeks and was still getting positive tests 7/8 weeks later. Have you had a scan or knew how far along you were or anything?? Xxx

NannyGR Wed 26-Oct-16 12:11:32

I was either 7 and half weeks or 10 weeks when I started to miscarry (wasn't sure on dates) they won't scan me as I haven't had really heavy bleeding and/or pains. Still have my first scan booked for 7th Nov. Doctor said there was no point doing bloods so haven't had them done either. She said to come back if still bleeding and/or producing positive tests after two weeks... so guessing I'll just have to wait another week. Was just shocked at how quick and bold the line came up this morning. Haven't really got any symptoms other than bigger and tender books which hasn't gone yet. Only had nausea for 2 weeks anyway so no change really! Just hate this long wait....

Kittenrush Wed 26-Oct-16 12:21:29

I'm surprised she hasn't sent you for an early scan, had you had your booking appointment yet? You could try your midwife?? How much bleeding did you have? Sounds like your GP has been a bit unsympathetic really it's horrid to have to wait that long not knowing sad xxx

paperandpaint Wed 26-Oct-16 12:25:47

I'm so so sorry to hear this and think that your doctor should have referred to your local EPU at the hospital, it seems very unfair. Can you see another doctor or go for a private early scan? My EPU were lovely when I called then direct for advice.

I had a MMC (only discovered at an early scan) at about 7 weeks. I had surgical management of it and was pregnant about 4 weeks later. It took about 3 weeks post surgery to get a negative test.

Lots of love and I'm really sorry that you are going through this.

littlepooch Wed 26-Oct-16 12:28:34

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I'm sorry your doctor wasn't more sympathetic and didn't refer you to the EPU. Even at 7 weeks they would have been able to scan you and take bloods. I would go back to the doctor or contact EPU for advice.

With my natural miscarriages I got a negative test about 2 weeks after. With my missed miscarriage I had to have surgery and I didn't get s negative for about 4 weeks after. I was further along though. It can take a while for a negative and for your body to adjust.

NannyGR Wed 26-Oct-16 12:38:33

I'd had my booking in app already and when I first started bleeding I spoke to my midwife and she said she can't refer me has to been done through the gp. Have spoken to my EPU and they have said the same as gp.... was going to pay for an early scan but not sure I can justify spending £100 to be told my baby isn't there... I may give the EPU another call or even book an appointment to see the gp again... this wait is just horrible and I'd rather just know... thanks for all your kind words xx

Kittenrush Wed 26-Oct-16 13:21:10

It's a shame your midwife can't refer. I think you're right, go back to your GP and ask again for an early scan. Even if you had serial bloods you still couldn't be sure because with a missed miscarriage your body doesn't always know so continues to produce hcg. I would push for a scan. Hope you're okay xxx

TirednessIsComing Wed 26-Oct-16 18:29:23

Your doctor is being cruel by not referring you for a scan. Can you see another and stress how much this is affecting you?

CeCeBloomer Thu 27-Oct-16 11:10:42

Took 6 weeks for me but I had Mmc confirmed by scan and an Erpc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now