Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

34 weeks - does anyone else just not feel much movement?

(14 Posts)
gumdropss Tue 25-Oct-16 12:21:21

I'm just over 34 weeks pregnant, first pregnancy. I have an anterior placenta and have always struggled to feel movement.

I felt little flutters at around 19 weeks but then nothing for quite a while, it seemed to pick up at 27 weeks but then trailed off again. I've been into triage twice to be monitored, both times loads of movement was picked up on the monitor but I just couldn't feel it.

Over the last couple weeks I've felt very little really. I last saw a midwife on Friday and had a growth scan the day before where movement was seen. I've tried to keep track of it on an app but each "movement" is so subtle it's like blink and you miss it. I do the whole cold sugary drink and lie down on my side, trying to trigger some movement, but again it's so minimal I don't know if I'm just imagining things.

I've had a couple of extra scans and my baby is measuring big and I have an average amount of fluid so it's not that. It just drives me crazy... how am I meant to get through another few weeks like this!? I keep having horrible dreams that I'm carrying round a distressed / dead baby. I might call triage again today but am starting to feel like a pain in the arse, as they always ask whether there's been a "change to my pattern" but when I explain that I have no pattern of movement, they say well then this is normal for me.

Just wondered if anyone else was being driven mad like me!?

Becciilouisex3 Tue 25-Oct-16 12:36:50

Movement is so tricky because I was like you really, my LO didn't have a set pattern of movement so it was really hard to tell when something had changed. He also had some really lazy days where he barely moved after a very active so I ended up being checked a few times to be honest.

At the end of the day if you're not sure, you need to get it checked if only for your own peace of mind. I know exactly how you feel because you feel like you're being silly or wasting their time but their job is to look after you! Screw them, you won't see them much after LO is here anyway!

When I was around your gestation and up to my due date, I personally felt a slight decrease in movement but the movements were also different so they were like baby rolling around rather than kicking, presumably because there's not much room for them to stretch their legs out to kick. That being said, everyone is different and I would just get yourself checked to ease your mind smile

gumdropss Tue 25-Oct-16 12:45:27

Thanks for your lovely response Becci, and I know you're right about going to get checked - it's the advice I'd give anyone else but when it comes to me I just keep thinking I should wait till later this afternoon / this evening / tomorrow after work. I can't not call up because of embarrassment. I guess I'd rather be a bit embarrassed than not and then later find out that something's been wrong.

I wonder if they'd offer regular monitoring if this continues? I don't want to waste resources as I know that they're particularly tight right now, but I wonder if that's a way of overcoming this. Some days I genuinely feel nothing at all, so the next day I go to call triage but I feel a couple of little taps and feel reassured off the back of that so I don't call.

I am measuring at least a week or 2 ahead, so it may be that the movements have changed because there's less room.

TooTiredToThinkOfAUsername Tue 25-Oct-16 12:48:45

Don't wait. If you're concerned, just get checked. Who cares if you're a "pain in the arse". I would rather that than risk anything. Even if it means going every week / every other day / every day!

duxb Tue 25-Oct-16 12:48:54

Hi. I also have an anterior placenta and am 35+3 today, however movements for me are easier to notice now. She has quieter days where my anxiety creeps in and have been in for monitoring the once because of this.

Now the movements are bigger (and can be seen from the outside) it's easier for me.

However - despite the fact I've been in once for monitoring, I'd definitely go again. All the literature tells you to report it if you are concerned and it's better for you anxiety wise if you get checked out. I can't imagine they would be frustrated with you and even if they are - it's your child and therefore, for you're own piece of mind, let them be.

duxb Tue 25-Oct-16 12:49:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

user1471927379 Tue 25-Oct-16 13:30:14

Hi, you are not alone! I am 34 weeks also & have been noticing the same thing. I have been to triage seven times with reduced movement and today they finally decided they were going to admit me till the baby is born, which will be around 37 weeks. This is the best thing for me as i'm constantly worried about movements. I've also had 4 scans in the last month & everything is normal so they don't know what's causing the reduced movement but baby seems to be fine. I do notice a lot of movements are subtle also she sleeps for longer periods now so might not feel her for up to 2 hours. Go to triage if you are worried and maybe discuss a plan with midwife,which was what i had in place before,CTG monitoring three times a week.

gumdropss Tue 25-Oct-16 14:10:05

Thanks everyone for your comments. I've just called up, barely any questions asked, and they told me to come in for monitoring.

User - so sorry you've been going trough the same, bloody nerve wracking isn't it! How do you feel about having been admitted? Hope it offers you that peace of mind.

user1471927379 Tue 25-Oct-16 18:28:41

I am so glad you went in for monitoring. Please update me on how it goes. I am fairly happy with the decision to be admitted as i worry constantly about her movements & if im here then I won't need to keep coming back as they monitor twice a day anyways. Although by the end of this 2/3 weeks ill be happy to be rid of the sight of this place. Lol x

gumdropss Tue 25-Oct-16 20:26:50

Hi again user, was there for just over 3 hours in total. As per usual the monitor showed loads of movements and a good heartbeat with plenty of accelerations from the baseline, yet I felt nothing throughout. I've been booked in for yet another scan next week, and she said that I should just keep doing the same thing (as in, phoning triage when I'm concerned). She said that there does seem to be a number of women who just cannot feel movements and there's not always an explanation for it. She also mentioned at one point that they may decide to induce me / not let me go past due date because of this? But I'm guessing I will chat to someone when they report back on my scan next week. My blood test showed elevated white blood cell count and my urine showed I might have an infection so that's been sent off to the lab, so feel like I've had a full MOT!

Becciilouisex3 Wed 26-Oct-16 10:48:21

Glad it all went well for you! Hopefully the midwife has put you at ease as well by telling you to keep doing the same thing whenever you're concerned! x

user1471927379 Thu 27-Oct-16 07:02:05

Have just seen this but i'm so happy to hear baby is okay. They do worry us don't they hmm but it seems like you made the right goes by going in if you may have an infection. Please update after your scan next week & i hope you feel more at ease now smile

Pops1985 Thu 27-Oct-16 20:26:21

I could have written this post myself! Except I don't have an anterior placenta. 34+5 and I have never felt much movement, baby is on the big side and normal fluid- I just wonder why I can't ever feel her? I don't go in for monitoring enough, I keep thinking it will pick up.... It's so tricky.

gumdropss Wed 02-Nov-16 07:30:34

Sorry to hear you're experiencing the same, pops. It's bloody unnerving isn't it! You should definitely phone triage if you are ever concerned. I've always been treated really well and it has never been a waste of time
- they say that the idea is for someone to come in with worries and to leave reassured that all is well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now