Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can a nurse practitioner refer you for a scan

(8 Posts)
Laurenb123 Tue 25-Oct-16 10:55:00

As the title says really. For those of you who read my last post will know that I'm really unsure on dates and how far I am, could be anywhere between 4 and 15 weeks. I can't get in with a doctor today but have mananged to get an appointment with a nurse practitioner.

Nikki2ol6 Tue 25-Oct-16 11:40:27

You could just book a private scan

reallyanotherone Tue 25-Oct-16 11:43:11

Can you self refer to the midwives?

Did you tell your GP practice what the appt was for? Or just book in with the NP?

Probably worth phoning back and asking if you can go direct to a m/w. Many trusts do this as a GP appt is pointless these days with HPT's.

Alternatively see if your local hospital has m/w or EPU you can phone and ask how to best get into the system.

reallyanotherone Tue 25-Oct-16 11:44:27

You could just book a private scan

Not everyone has spare cash for private medical treatment. If only it were that simple.

Mummytogg Tue 25-Oct-16 13:10:13

A very different situation but a nurse practitioner referred me for a scan after a miscarriage so I would say yes that they could.

If no luck I would self refer to your local midwifes and explain to them the situation. I imagine they will get you in for a scan as early as possible so they could hopefully fit you in for any 12 week testing if you are wishing to have it done

Nikki2ol6 Tue 25-Oct-16 14:38:51

They arnt expensive mine was £45

Mummytogg Tue 25-Oct-16 15:03:14

Aren't here the cheapest for an early private scan is £99. We paid for one after we had suffered a miscarriage but this pregnancy we decided not too as it was expensive

Laurenb123 Tue 25-Oct-16 15:06:15

Hi, nurse referred me, I told her everything and she went and got a doctor, and they referred me. In my area you just self refer to midwifes but couldn't be seen until late next week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now