Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Norovirus and 8 weeks pregnant

(12 Posts)
Longsuffering24 Sun 23-Oct-16 12:32:41

Hi, I am 8 weeks pregnant and have had norovirus over the past couple of days. I've never been so ill in my life. Violent sickness and diarrhea the first day, diarrhea the second and I'm now on the third day of absolutely no appetite and feel completely drained. I wouldn't really worry unless I was pregnant but I still feel too sick to eat anything. I've tried to force down some plain rice but it's hard work. I now have a cold as well to top it all. Has anyone survived this in early pregnancy? Should I worry about not being able to eat?

lljkk Sun 23-Oct-16 12:36:42

I have BTDT (shudder).
Keep fluids up, tiny sip every 5 mins at least.
I wouldn't force food down, tbh, just keep water going in steady & small.
You can ring MWs for advice, too.
Unless you were truly malnourished b4, or immuno-compromised, I reckon that U can ride it out. It just sucks in meantime.

mycatstares Sun 23-Oct-16 12:40:21

As long as you keep hydrated you should be ok. Get some windows open so you get some fresh air in.

I hope you feel better soon, norovirus is horrible.sad

Longsuffering24 Sun 23-Oct-16 13:02:17

Thanks. I'll give the MW a ring tomorrow and see what they say. I'm not malnourished and don't have any other health issues so hopefully can ride it out. I had been off my food anyway since about 6 weeks with 'morning sickness' that meant I felt sick all the time. I never thought that pregnancy was going to be a weight loss programme!

mycatstares Sun 23-Oct-16 13:48:30

Can you stomach some ice poles? It'll keep your sugar levels up a little bit.

PotteringAlong Sun 23-Oct-16 13:51:21

The baby will be fine. It's essentially a parasite and takes exactly what it needs and leaves you with the rest which is another reason why you feel so shocking when you're ill when you're pregnant.

Longsuffering24 Sun 23-Oct-16 13:52:05

I'll try that mycat...I'll ask DP to get some for me.

Musicinthe00ssucks Sun 23-Oct-16 13:54:19

I had it with my second pregnancy OP. It's absolutely awful. The doctor told me it doesn't matter about eating but just try to take in a s much fluid as you can. I found ice pops were brilliant and now I always keep a supply in the freezer just in case. I was ill for two weeks with it; just totally wiped out, so make sure you just get plenty of rest x

Longsuffering24 Sun 23-Oct-16 14:20:34

I havent got long to rest. I'm due back at work Tuesday and so need to go. I've just had 5 weeks off with a bad back (it's been relentless since getting pregnant). I have my 'meeting' with HR about my sickness. I can't ring in sick again :-(

Foggymist Sun 23-Oct-16 14:55:57

I had it at 8 weeks and was super busy with work, not fun. Took about 7-10 days to pass, I wasn't concerned re: baby because even though I felt so awful I was pretty much able to struggle on so knew I wasn't overly dehydrated or anything. I had it again at 19 weeks, my immune system was clearly crap in pregnancy!

Longsuffering24 Sun 23-Oct-16 15:36:29

Oh no a second time! I'd never had a tummy bug before my DS was born and now I get everything going. Immune system clearly wiped. I don't know how you carried on at work as well foggy. I can barely get off the sofa.

Foggymist Sun 23-Oct-16 21:05:23

I had no choice, I'm self employed with no employees!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now