Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Evening wear?!

(12 Posts)
Lucille88 Sat 22-Oct-16 09:46:55

Wondering if anyone knows of any good places to get decent evening gowns for formal events? I've a work awards ceremony in 6 weeks - I really want to wear this dress
LOVE this from ASOS!
http://www.asos.com/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=6699212
Over my bump but it isn't maternity - I'm a 12 - does anyone have any experience wearing ASOS dresses during pregnancy - do you think a 16 would fit me (I will be 24 weeks by then). I know it's hard to judge how big I'll be but im13 weeks now and showing already, and I don't want to leave it too late to find a nice dress - I did that last year and ended up in something horrible!
Other sites with maternity wear as nice as ASOS' regular stuff would be helpful as well!! Thanks smile

Lucille88 Sat 22-Oct-16 09:47:55

smile

Lucille88 Sat 22-Oct-16 09:48:18

Excited first timer

fruityb Sat 22-Oct-16 10:02:43

That's very grand I love it! I found ASOS maternity very good and the sizing of their normal clothing good. At that stage you will probably show but I wouldn't jump up two sizes. I'd maybe go one size up as it still needs to fit you where you're not pregnant - the shoulders and such.

Order one up and try it on - worst case you exchange it. The maternity clothes on asos are very good though (apart from the over bump t shirts without the side ruching, they were no where near long enough!) and they have some gorgeous dresses - wore one at 36 weeks to a wedding and felt great.

Its a very glamorous dress!

haveacupoftea Sat 22-Oct-16 10:05:09

Very glam! A 14 might do as the wrap shape helps with lumps and bumps.

EsmesBees Sat 22-Oct-16 10:11:31

I got a fancy maternity dress for a wedding from JoJos.

I wouldn't go up two sizes as it will be huge round your shoulders.

FenellaMaxwell Sat 22-Oct-16 10:17:14

Is it stretchy? If it is you might be ok, however you may well find it doesn't work - I have really struggled getting things to fit by sizing up instead of going for maternity wear as it's the cut that matters rather than the size.

FenellaMaxwell Sat 22-Oct-16 10:18:36

Have a look at Maya Maternity dresses - lots of sequin evening ones in the range.

ScottyAl Sat 22-Oct-16 10:23:25

Seraphine so lovely formal maternity wear. It can be pricy but has good resale value and is excellent quality. They often have a sale as well.

I don't like Asos maternity stuff. I've found it poor quality and the dresses tend to be ridiculously long. Look at the height of the model in the product spec, they're often 5ft
11. A knee length dress on a 5ft 11 model isn't a knee length dress on the majority of the female population!

user1468321775 Sat 22-Oct-16 11:26:18

I went to a ball at 29 weeks and managed to get a lovely black and gold lace gown from quiz on the high street! Cost me £40 in the sale. I didn't want to invest much as I def won't wear it again. It was really stretchy and i managed to wear a size 12 - I'm usually an 8-10 x

SpecialStains Sat 22-Oct-16 11:37:56

I got a lovely ball gown from Asos for an event when I was 30ish weeks pregnant. Got a size 10 instead of an 8, non maternity style. I felt beautiful in it!

raviolidreaming Sat 22-Oct-16 12:19:05

I have really struggled getting things to fit by sizing up instead of going for maternity wear as it's the cut that matters rather than the size

Same here. I'm just about all bump (with a bit of extra bottom and knee fat!) and going up in sizing just makes things too big everywhere else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now