Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Terrified i had fresh cream. 34 weeks. Pls any advice?

(23 Posts)
user1471927379 Fri 21-Oct-16 18:08:48

Hi everyone. I am 34 weeks and have been dealing with a lot of anxiety in my pregnancy. So i try to avoid anything that will make me worry. So yesterday i bought some cream cakes from sainsburys, they were in the fridge section & pre packaged. I had one last night and one this morning although thinking back the one i had this morning did taste abit funny. I'm just terrified they were unpasteurised and have made my baby sick. I have had a slight belly ache today but i that could be due to how i stuffed my face yesterday or my heartburn and indigestion which i deal with. I also have a slight headache but kinda feel like i am imagining that. I had a midwife appointment this afternoon & my baby is fine wnd moving well but I can't help worrying. I have been referred for my anxiety but its gonna take another two weeks. I threw the label out so i can check whether they were pasturised or not, i am so upset with myself.sad

ShatnersBassoon Fri 21-Oct-16 18:10:12

Sainsbury will use only pasteurised cream. No doubt about it.

BitchPeas Fri 21-Oct-16 18:10:30

It will, 100% have been pasteurised. Shops in the U.K. Don't sell unpasteurised dairy!

Ginmakesitallok Fri 21-Oct-16 18:10:34

Yabu- sainsburys don't sell unpasteurised cream. Nowhere sells unpasteurised cream.

thenewaveragebear1983 Fri 21-Oct-16 18:10:45

I would imagine that all the cream cakes would be made with pasteurised milk. Try not to worry. Why not ring the store and ask them to put your mind at rest?

Haggisfish Fri 21-Oct-16 18:10:51

They absolutely will have been pasteurised.

iklboo Fri 21-Oct-16 18:11:14

They'll only use pasteurised cream as it has a longer shelf life. Please try not to worry.

HalloToJasonIsaacs Fri 21-Oct-16 18:11:22

There is no way on earth that Sainsbury's would use unpasteurised cream.

CarrieMayBe Fri 21-Oct-16 18:11:54

I would bet my life that the cream was pasteurised, I cannot imagine that somewhere as mainstream as Sainsbury would sell a cream cake with unpasteurised cream in it.

What type of cake was it? Can you google it for the ingredients? I too had severe anxiety in pregnancy and even the smallest things became huge in my head so I think you need to find out for certain otherwise your mind won't rest. Can you pop back and look at them on the shelf perhaps?

I don't think you need to worry at all but I'm not sure that'll be enough to ease your mind.

UltimateFrisbee Fri 21-Oct-16 18:11:59

Yep, definitely will have been pasteurised.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Fri 21-Oct-16 18:12:21

It will only be pasteurised milk. Who uses unpasteurised milk these days? Very rare, and certainly not in a high street supermarket brand.

frikadela01 Fri 21-Oct-16 18:12:57

I imagine the only places you can get unpasteurised dairy products is from the place they're actually made eg fancy farm shops, even then there likely to be pasteurised. Try not to worry

Ollycat Fri 21-Oct-16 18:13:08

As others have said it's fine don't worry. Do however have a chat with your midwife about your level of anxiety and see if she can refer you to a counsellor - the anxiety is not good for you and baby.

Do you have people irl you can chat with?

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Fri 21-Oct-16 18:15:09

You can get some unpasteurised cheeses in some supermarkets but cream in cream cakes will be pasteurised, don't worry.

Ollycat Fri 21-Oct-16 18:15:10

Just seen you've got a referral - maybe give your mw a ring and see if she can speed it along.

The cream will def have been pasteurised.

user1471927379 Fri 21-Oct-16 18:23:47

Thank you sooooo much girls. My mind has totally been put at rest. I do have people i can talk to in real life but i feel like they are just tired of me as its something new everyday so now i just keep my worries to myself, or will contact midwife who is lovely. I just hope when bubs is born am i not like this,because if so i'll be worrying about her constantly & i really don't want to pass my anxiety onto her.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Fri 21-Oct-16 18:24:51

The referral sounds like a great idea. I hope you find it useful. Irrational fears may be irrational, but they are still fears. Anxiety is a bitch.

user1471927379 Fri 21-Oct-16 18:29:23

Anxiety is totally is a bitch. I really feel like i am slowly losing my mind so i am going to ask my midwife if she could speed up the referral 100%.

pugsake Fri 21-Oct-16 18:29:40

User are you having your PFB (prize first born) ?

I remember the same thing happening with an egg 11 year ago grin

Sorry you've got anxiety it's horrible especially in pregnancy flowers

user1471927379 Fri 21-Oct-16 18:34:02

Pugsake i am having my first born yes. Haha

seven201 Fri 21-Oct-16 18:37:40

Do try and get the referral sped up. You need it controlled before the baby arrives.

sycamore54321 Fri 21-Oct-16 18:38:21

As above, it will have been pasteurised. Also as far as I know, the dangers from most food born illnesses are greater much earlier in the pregnancy as the baby is still being formed. So if it's any comfort, the most likely result of food borne illness at 34 weeks or later will be you feeling absolutely horrid and the baby being just fine. Not to say you should throw caution to the wind and disregard basic hygiene etc, but it should not be a major reason to worry.

Anxiety is horrible but please give yourself a pass this time.

user1471927379 Fri 21-Oct-16 18:43:36

Sycamore54321 that has rested my mind even more. Thank you. I am trying to give myself a pass, i just cannot wait until my baby is born & hopefully this is just pregnancy related anxiety.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now