Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cancun at 15-16 weeks

(13 Posts)
readyforno2 Tue 18-Oct-16 19:11:56

My sister has recently discovered that she is pregnant. Currently around 7 weeks.
Our worry is that we have booked to go to Mexico for Christmas. She's worried about the Zika virus.
Does anyone have any advice?

HuffaLump2016 Tue 18-Oct-16 19:14:48

Don't go. It's not worth the risk. They are day biting mosquitos so it's not as if she can avoid just being out at night.

BennyTheBall Tue 18-Oct-16 19:18:47

I don't think it's worth the risk.

Even if you took extreme caution - you wouldn't (I would think) be able, or want to, apply a repellant with something like Deet when pregnant.

It would be no for me.

eurochick Tue 18-Oct-16 19:23:52

It would be a no from me too. The risks are too great.

plasmina Tue 18-Oct-16 19:24:49

What about Montezuma's revenge (aka illness from the food or water down there?) Can that harm the baby? (I don't actually know). About half the people I know who go to Mexico get sick even if they stick to bottled water so probably I wouldn't go if I was her. When we went we both got very ill for a couple days and had lasting effects for a couple months after.

PotteringAlong Tue 18-Oct-16 19:24:57

Cancel. Not worth it.

plasmina Tue 18-Oct-16 19:28:41

Also Zika is just the headline maker right now. There has always been dengue (breakbone fever), malaria and other things in that part of the world. We would love to take our kids to see Chechen Itza (I can't spell it) but are waiting til we can risk the stomach bugs safely.

LHReturns Tue 18-Oct-16 19:38:05

If Mexico has the live virus don't even consider it.

I am 8 weeks and we have just cancelled our annual Christmas in the Caribbean (where my mother lives). My travel agent was VERY firm about the advice they have been told to give all travellers to Zika countries.

MrsH87 Tue 18-Oct-16 20:01:38

I wouldn't go. Although you can use deet-based spray when pregnant, I really think areas with active transmission should be avoided. I think if you have insurance, and a letter from the GP she should be eligible to claim some of her costs back though.

readyforno2 Tue 18-Oct-16 22:03:13

Thanks everyone. You've all just confirmed what we were already thinking.

DramaAlpaca Tue 18-Oct-16 22:07:36

Twenty odd years ago I had booked a holiday to Mexico, then I found out I was pregnant. I would've been about 18 weeks when I was due to go. I had a chat to my GP who strongly advised me to cancel and I did. I wouldn't even consider going now if I was pregnant.

RasperryInAMelon Wed 19-Oct-16 00:08:43

We've been invited to a wedding near Cancun in April. When we were TTC we were unsure of whether to go.

Now we have found out we are pregnant and I'll be in T3 we had to decide what to do and have opted not to. Like you say, just not worth the risks

kikisdelivery Wed 19-Oct-16 08:48:00

OP it sounds like you've already decided, but for what it's worth I also agree you guys should cancel. We had to do the very same thing - due to go to Barbados in January, found out I was pregnant and will be over 30 weeks anyway during the planned travel, so cancelled. We got a full refund from the hotel and BA which was great. It's a shame, as it was meant to be for my OH's 40th, but he gets a different present instead!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now