Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How comes a paediatrician is present at breech birth

(8 Posts)
butterfly92 Tue 18-Oct-16 03:58:39

Hi ladies i had my little boy yesterday he was breech so i had a cesarean and they said that a consultant / paediatrician has to be present because he is breech but it is nothing to worry about... why is that?

BikeRunSki Tue 18-Oct-16 04:26:29

To check for hip displacement maybe?
Because it's major surgery and a baby is involved?

Not much help really, my first CS was very quick, the second I was unconscious.

sashh Tue 18-Oct-16 05:40:19

I think it's any 'abnormal' - horrible word but used in the sense of not usual birth to check the baby over.

Congratulations btw.

ParsnipSoup Tue 18-Oct-16 05:44:17

Rules differ in different hospitals. Where I've worked paeds go to the unplanned c-sections when baby is found to be breech later on but not the planned c-sections. We rarely have to intervene but it's better to be safe and be there just in case. Breech babies can occasionally be a bit trickier to get out.

AmeliaJack Tue 18-Oct-16 05:44:57

I had twins via cs. There was a whole crowd in there with me.

A doctor plus team for me and a paediatrician plus team for each of the babies.

As sash says anything a bit out of the ordinary gets you extra attention.

Congratulations on your baby! flowers

neversleepagain Tue 18-Oct-16 14:48:33

Sam here Amelia, dh counted 16 adults at our twins' birth!

Imnotaslimjim Tue 18-Oct-16 14:56:53

I had DD by section, no problems with her, trouble was all mine but there was still a paediatrician present "just in case." I wouldn't worry too much about it.

AmeliaJack Tue 18-Oct-16 15:34:28

neversleep grin I just remember a crowd of people all smiling brightly saying "it's all going to be fine" while simultaneously looking at the monitors in a worried fashion.

They all did a marvellous job though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now