Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Only 5 weeks pregnant, horrid head cold, is there anything safe to take?

(6 Posts)
Isthisusernamefree Mon 17-Oct-16 17:33:21

Hi everyone,

As the title says, I'm very early into this pregnancy and caught a head cold and feel gross. I'm worried about taking anything as it's so so early on - is there anything that's safe?

I had MMC in July and so i'm a bit nervous even to sneeze! I don't want to do anything that might jeopardise the baby!

Thanks

SaltedCaramelEverything Tue 18-Oct-16 07:37:17

I don't really think there is as I often see people on here talk about nature remedies (you may find an older post). However it wouldn't harm to phone GP or speak to the pharmacist in your chemist. Hope you feel better soon flowers

RatOnnaStick Tue 18-Oct-16 07:40:33

Just paracetamol which you can take as normal.

smEGGontoast Tue 18-Oct-16 07:43:17

Paracetamol is safe at the recommended dose.

Try inhaling using steam, or a tiny bit of olbas or Vicks in the water. Salt water nasal spray is also fine to use.

Drink lots of water, hot honey and lemon or blackcurrant squash.

riddles26 Tue 18-Oct-16 08:42:04

I'm currently 39 weeks and have been suffering from the same thing. Despite being a healthcare professional, I have the same reluctance to take medication during pregnancy as also had a MMC prior to this.

Paracetamol is completely safe and essential if you are feverish. Fever (particularly prolonged) can cause harm to the foetus, especially in the first trimester. If you don't have a fever, it is still safe and will give you some symptom relief.

Other than that, have lots of hot fluids, I have been doing a little steam inhalation and have also been using a saline nasal rinse to unblock my nose. If you have a sore throat, suck on any sweet, doesn't have to be a specific one for a sore throat. The action of sucking constantly washes away the bacteria at the back of the throat and will help you feel better.

Scotmum83 Tue 18-Oct-16 09:16:33

Just paracetamol but you could use a saline spray for your nose. I've just started using sterimar saline spray for rhinitis and it's amazing. Completely natutal so fine for pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now