Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Red, hot, itchy boobs

(15 Posts)
NameChange30 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:27:03

My thread title reminds me of the RHCP... Well this is the unsexy pregnancy version I suppose grin

I've had red hot itchy boobs for weeks now, and I was hoping it would calm down, but it's as bad as ever.

Apart from sticking ice packs down my bra (not hugely subtle) or slathering my boobs in some kind of cream every five minutes (not hugely practical) is there anything else I can try?

I know I'll need my boobs in order to feed my baby but I am fantasising about somehow getting rid of the huge, uncomfortable, itchy things...

MrsChrisPratt Sat 15-Oct-16 20:31:06

Erm, red as in actually red, the colour? Could you possibly have an infection?

NameChange30 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:36:47

Yes, an angry red rash. I'm only 20+5 so I assumed it would be too early for mastitis??

UsuallyJustLurk Sat 15-Oct-16 20:38:47

I'm 12 weeks and mine are the same. Red blotches, itchy, swollen and boiling hot to touch. Everything getting ready for the milk I suppose...
I've managed to put up with it, but you could try cabbage leaves in your bra (yes, really). They were very soothing when I was breastfeeding last time. And oh so cool (temperature obvs, definitely not coooool) wink
Not sure if it matters but I always went for a Savoy cabbage!

NameChange30 Mon 17-Oct-16 15:59:08

I saw the doctor today (had booked the appt for another issue but mentioned this as well) as she prescribed antibiotics. She said it's unusual but possible for it to be mastitis, even at this early stage confused Here's hoping the antibiotics do the trick!

They are obviously safe to take in pregnancy but it still feels weird taking medication when I've had no pills for months apart from vitamins!

Amalfimamma Mon 17-Oct-16 16:06:33

NameChange30

Mastitis is very possible in pregnancy. I've had recurring mastitis for months now, had it twice in pregnancy and every month for the past five months when I ovulate. It's a cunt horrible thing.

Buy a cabbage, put it in the fridge and put the cold leaves inside your bra.you'll stink of cabbage but it'll help soothe the infection, keep an eye out for an access and get your gp to drain it if it does appear.

Raw garlic also helps also stinks take hot showers and massage the breath as well to free up any blocked ducts. Good luck and I hope it's just a one off for you

NameChange30 Mon 17-Oct-16 16:09:11

Thanks so much for the tips Amalfi - hope you can get rid of yours!

Amalfimamma Mon 17-Oct-16 16:10:35

NameChange30

So do I before I go mad

That should also read massage the breast ffs 😮

NameChange30 Mon 17-Oct-16 16:11:42

Yeah i figured grin

NameChange30 Wed 19-Oct-16 17:54:01

Update: saw an obstetrician today (again, for something else, but thought I'd mention the boobs) and they don't think it's mastitis. They said it looks like an allergic reaction and noticed my bra has unusual material so it could be that. I feel like a bit of an idiot if it is just my bra blush And now I have to return to bra shopping hell (non-wired 38FF bra that's not uncomfortable or fugly, anyone?!)

On the upside, I can stop the antibiotics and will hopefully escape the dreaded thrush (which I fear might have made an appearance sad)

Cherylene Wed 19-Oct-16 18:03:51

www.bravissimo.com/products/lingerie/soft-cup-bras/

I get something like that now I am menopausal - I think sometimes I get a hormonal blip, then it doesn't drain properly. It feels like mastitis. I do have a favourite bra that is underwired but a natural shape with no seams and no pressure anywhere and it does stop it. I would go to a shop with lots of choice and try as many on as you can.

Ibuprofen helps too.

NameChange30 Wed 19-Oct-16 18:08:40

Thanks Cherylene, I got this bra from Bravissimo (it's a Panache Sophie nursing bra - I wonder if the soft cup version would be different) and did try on a few others but I could give it another go. I might have to get an underwired bra but I've been avoiding them because I'm sure my boobs will grow even more (oh joy) and don't want the wires digging in!

Can't take ibuprofen in pregnancy!

Mozfan1 Wed 19-Oct-16 18:15:17

I had this in my leg pregnancy and it came back this time aswell. I found creams just exacerbated the problem as it gets a bit hot and bothered in there so I took action and froze a couple of panty liners and stuck them in my bra blush

Plenty of airing them, keep them as dry as possible

Cherylene Wed 19-Oct-16 18:17:27

Can't take ibuprofen in pregnancy! There is no joy these days sad It is an ant- inflammatory - not sure paracetamol will do the same thing at all - just cold compresses.

I wore underwired during pregnancy - fine if it fits well

Mozfan1 Wed 19-Oct-16 18:24:43

Last not leg!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now