Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Uh-oh, tell me what the first signs of your SPD felt like

(11 Posts)
sycamore54321 Thu 13-Oct-16 03:53:07

28 weeks pregnant on baby 2. I've had a strange feeling of pressure in my inner pelvic area that started about 2 weeks ago. I asked me doctor at my last appointment and she said that if it is SPD, there isn't much one can do to avoid or treat it. Strong family history of SPD in pregnancies but I escaped it entirely on my previous one.

Now in recent days it is getting worse. My usual 30 minute walk from work resulted in me shuffling and in pretty bad pain so I've switched to (annoyingly slower) public transport instead. The resting and limiting walking had meant my severe burst of pain has passed but I'm hugely conscious of a straining in my front, central pelvic area when I walk, particularly if not on a dead straight line, and if I open my legs wide.

I see my doctor again next week and will be asking more detailed questions but in the meantime, please tell me if this sounds familiar to anyone, if SPD inevitably gets worse, any tips you have for living with it.

I am feeling stir crazy already without my twice daily walk, but I definitely don't want to risk pain or injury.

hoofwankingbunglecunt Thu 13-Oct-16 04:02:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hoofwankingbunglecunt Thu 13-Oct-16 04:04:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sycamore54321 Thu 13-Oct-16 04:21:28

Oh that actually gives me som hope - whatever this is eases when I sit or lie, so perhaps it is just a more temporary muscle strain of some kind. I saw what some family members suffered with it and have such sympathy for anyone who gets it.

Yes, walking has been all but abandoned ! I fortunately live in a high rise city centre area so everywhere uses lifts and not stairs. Thanks for the tips.

DailyMailFuckRightOff Thu 13-Oct-16 04:27:39

Mine kind of changed over time. Started off as a more general 'sore back' then progressed to a grinding feeling in my hips. I'm now 39 weeks and I'd say for the past 10 or so it's been the pulling pain you described low down at the front. Makes turning over in bed a nightmare.

HTH, and best of luck xxx

popthisoneout Thu 13-Oct-16 04:31:05

Mine started as a pain going down the top of my inner thighs. Wasn't too bad initially mostly happened if I walked a lot I felt. Got worse towards the end obviously as the weight starts to take its toll and turning in bed was painful, lying, sitting for long periods hurt.

The most pain was after delivery though which I was t expecting at all.

Mrsbadger77 Thu 13-Oct-16 16:57:29

Your GP is talking rubbish. Of course there are things you can do. Tips that the other posters have mentioned plus get yourself some physio- gp should refer you. I was also able to get hydrotherapy and you need a pregnancy support belt which really helps with taking the pressure off your pelvis and back. All those things made a huge difference to me.

Kitch82 Thu 13-Oct-16 18:48:02

My spd started at 26w and started with a dull ache in both groins which developed into feeling like I was being split in 2 when I walked. Your GP is talking rubbish, there's lots you can do. Have a look on here
www.pelvicpartnership.org.uk/
Get a referral for physio or refer yourself depending where you are, there might be a phone number on the front of your notes. I'm now 32w and despite excellent treatment I've been on crutches for the past 4 weeks. I think that's quite rare though so don't panic.

MyBreadIsEggy Thu 13-Oct-16 18:55:00

Mine started at around 20 weeks as just an "achy bones" feeling behind my butt cheeks blush that feeling just got progressively worse.
I'm 37 weeks now, and the "achy bones" feeling as progressed to crunching and grinding. Putting on/taking off trousers, or anything that involves lifting one leg off the floor feels like my pelvis is going to crumble into a million pieces sad These next few weeks need to hurry up and be over!

sycamore54321 Thu 13-Oct-16 23:35:08

Thanks all. I'm not in the UK so system is a bit different but I've left a message with my doctor today to request a physio referral or a sooner appointment with her.

Thankfully today was slightly better than recent days but I'm being incredibly cautious and even planning my moves around my apartment so I don't need to double-back on my steps.

DailyMailFuckRightOff Fri 14-Oct-16 16:02:32

Sycamore, one good piece of advice my MW gave me was that when turning over in bed I should go from one side to all fours then down onto the other side, instead of trying to roll onto my back and then to the other side.

I feel your pain. I would say though that even if you can't get a physio referral maybe consider paying to see an osteopath or chiropractor? My osteopath was able to show me some useful exercises which worked to rebalance my wonky pelvis a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now