Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pelvic Girdle Pain

(9 Posts)
Jules6525 Wed 12-Oct-16 17:26:56

17+3 and suffering terrible sciatic nerve pain, seen the doctor and he diagnosed PGP, he said it is likely to get worse as the pregnancy progresses. I have been referred to a physic and given co-codamol. Has anyone had any experience with this? The pain is terrible when lying down, moving in bed, walking upstairs etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ineededtonamechange Wed 12-Oct-16 17:55:07

The Physio will give you a strap - wear it as much as possible...

Keep your legs together when getting up and out of bed (swivel and sit)
Use a Pillow between legs to sleep
Sit down for things you would normally stand for (putting trousers on etc)
Do Pelvic Floor exercises all day every day
Get an exercise ball and sit on it regularly.

REST. Make your partner help you as much as possible. Don't lift anything really and make sure you listen to your body as much as possible. It may well get worse, but have a look at the exercises you can do (a quick google should help) and do them faithfully. Physio will also give you exercises when you get to that point switch over.

Oh, and rest. again!

Jules6525 Wed 12-Oct-16 18:03:04

Ineededtonamechange- Thank you! I will heed your advice and tell my DH he must do all the chores. On a serious note it is awful and I am so shocked I have it this early on, I barely even have a bump.

DoubleCarrick Wed 12-Oct-16 18:07:27

I started suffering from pgp really early. By about 15 weeks i struggled to walk around the supermarket. Are you able to afford to go privately? A very good chiropractor all but fixed mine within four sessions and I only have slight niggles now. If your in Hampshire, happy to make a recommendation. It was worth every penny for me - even though it's made me poor!

Roomba Wed 12-Oct-16 18:08:38

Do make sure you rest as much as you possibly can. Don't try and carry on regardless like I did - I ended up in pain most of the time until DS1 was almost 4, and even now it flares up sometimes (DS almost 11!).

Sleeping with a pillow between your knees really really helps, as do heat packs (physio had me sit with heat packs on every time before she did gentle manipulations, and it was bliss).

Jules6525 Wed 12-Oct-16 18:23:56

DoubleCarrick- I may do that then as I can't imagine carrying on like this. I am in Wiltshire so depending on where in Hampshire it may be close.

Roomba- I will try sleeping with a pillow tonight and hopefully get some sleep. Heat packs I can get so I will try that too.

Thank you both

LifeBeginsNow Wed 12-Oct-16 18:33:51

The pelvic partnership website has lots of great tips and people who can help in different areas of the country.

Listen to what's said and get in with the physio (make sure you do the exercises!). I started early with my first pregnancy (lost that baby and fell pregnant quickly after) and its continued ever since. I've got worse since I had the baby and am now 4 months later and only just starting to do things. Not everyone has it after but you need to make sure you follow the advice now.

Definitely don't push a trolley round the supermarket. It might not seem too bad but it's hard work on the pelvis. I thought as I was getting better I could do it but I've been in agony for days since!

Tangoandcreditcards Wed 12-Oct-16 18:45:17

Agree with all other advice. Rest as much as possible. Definitely avoid pushing things.

I saw a chiropractor at about 18w in my 2nd pregnancy and it made a world of differnce.

DoubleCarrick Sat 15-Oct-16 17:25:48

Hi jules sorry for delayed reply. Might be a bit far for you as he's in hook. He's also a craniopath. Weirdly fixed my pgp by fixing my jaw!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now