Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Has anyone had an epidural 2nd time around but not 1st time?

(41 Posts)
buckyou Fri 07-Oct-16 11:14:21

I had my daughter 16 months ago and i was quite determined that I wanted to do it with just gas and air. Which i managed but really found it very painful!!! Some of my friends have found it 'not that bad', but i really did find it quite bad right from the start.

I kind of feel a bit of a wimp but not sure if u want to put myself through all the pain again if i can have an injection to stop it!?

I'm not sure.. do i just need to stop being a wuss?? Does it hurt less 2nd time?

Frogers Fri 07-Oct-16 11:18:35

It's variable isn't it - size of baby being a factor for a start.

You don't need to stop being a wuss you need to do what is right for you. If that's an epidural crack on.

KatharinaRosalie Fri 07-Oct-16 11:18:53

do i just need to stop being a wuss?? - it's not being a wuss to use the amazing inventions of science available for us nowadays.

I had a failed epidural for 1st, didn't do anything for contractions, so could pretty much say I did it naturally. It was horribly painful and I was quite traumatised, and it afected my bonding with DC1.
For second time, I had a working epidural. It was a bliss, absolute bliss. I went from panting and sweating to happily reading a book and chatting to the midwife. No pain. Amazing. Would not hesitate if I would do it again.

Strokethefurrywall Fri 07-Oct-16 15:32:53

I hypnobirthed with my first and had an epidural with my second.

No wussing out about it frankly. First was a quick textbook labor, waters broke at 11am, got to hospital half an hour later at 6cms, had my doula massage my feet and run me a hot bath, mooed like a cow for a bit and 4 hours later DS1 arrived. Bloody fantastic!

Second I went into labor at 10pm, was having contractions every 2 minutes for 90seconds but was only 4cms, so had an epidural. I was having the same pain at 4cms as I did at 8cms with DS1 - I knew I wasn't going to be able to rest between contractions, it was late at night, I was tired and DS2 had to be closely monitored due to in utero heart issues so I had the epidural sited at 11pm and was asleep by midnight.
Slept through until 5.45am when my OBGYN woke me to let me know I was nearly 10cms, woke DH up and started pushing at 6am, DS2 was born at 6.05am. No pain and could feel him moving out easily.

They checked his heart quickly in the incubator and then put him back on the breast and he stayed there nursing for 2 hours until the epidural had worn off.

Both my labors were amazing and I'd do either one of them over again in a heartbeat if I could.

There is a difference between pain and suffering. I can handle pain, but the second it moves into suffering I opted for the pain relief.

Childbirth is not something that should be "suffered" and it pisses me off that pain relief is something that women have to beg for whilst they turn themselves inside out to birth a human.

buckyou Fri 07-Oct-16 15:40:38

I felt very on the edge of panicking from getting to hospital really. I think I probably looked to cope fine but I was freaking out internally. I felt like the pain was really really bad and was being offered bloody paracetamol!!

I could cope with it again I guess but I'm not sure if I want to. I think a pool would help but at my hospital there's no way you can gaurentee one it just depends if there is one available when you get there (there wasn't last time).

KatharinaRosalie Fri 07-Oct-16 16:01:48

But you feel that you should 'cope with the pain'?

buckyou Fri 07-Oct-16 16:14:21

Yeah I think so. But not sure why! I'll feel disapointed in myself.

Cherylene Fri 07-Oct-16 16:14:55

My first was fast and furious and hurty and they did not get round to giving me any pain relief until too late sad

Next time, I was supposed to be having an epidural for a twin delivery, but it did not hurt at all - very weird indeed. Just as well really, as they came fast too.

There is no knowing. I would opt for an epidural - you can always decline it on the day if it seems to be going well.

Nevlet Fri 07-Oct-16 16:56:17

Have you considered options between gas and air and an epidural OP? I was determined to have a natural birth and didn't even want G&A. I was getting to the point where I felt I couldnt carry on I really was besides myself in pain I was about to demand a c section as I was so against pain relief (no idea why I was just dead set on it). My DP suggested pethedine so I had that injection at 6cm about 5 hours before DS was born- the relief the pethedine gave me was enough for me to do the rest on just the gas and air. I know next time I will be more flexible on pain relief based on that experience. Good luck with your birth smile

CountessOfStrathearn Fri 07-Oct-16 17:38:07

stroke, "There is a difference between pain and suffering. I can handle pain, but the second it moves into suffering I opted for the pain relief." This is an excellent description and you've put into words how I feel about labour.

I've given birth 5 times, in a number of different places and areas, with different complications, with no pain relief, with an epidural, by section (I've done it every which way!). I don't find normal labour that bad. It does hurt but it is manageable! But, being induced as I was on one occasion was agony and suffering and I was very glad of the epidural there.

Keep your options open.

DetailedConfusion Fri 07-Oct-16 17:51:08

I had an epidural with ds1. It was a 16 hour labour, 4 hours pushing, nearly an emergency c-sec and then ventouse delivery and lots of problems (for me) afterwards.

I put it down entirely to the epidural tbh. You're flat on your back, not allowed to walk or kneel to get gravity in play. I couldn't feel a thing pushing. I had no idea what they even meant when they said push. I don't know the figures but the instances of extended labours/c-secs/assisted deliveries is much higher in those women that have an epidural than those that don't.

With ds2 I was determined not to have an epidural and it was the only thing in my birth plan in massive letters. I also drilled dh and made him promise that he wouldn't 'let me' have one even if I lost my willpower and begged. I did it on gas and air and yes, it was a LOT more painful in comparison. It was also a lot quicker and my body knew exactly what to do - I understood what they meant by push for a start!

Anyway, personally I wouldn't touch another one with a bargepole. I'd rather be on gas and air and in horrendous pain for 5 hours than drag it out over three times as long.

PuraVida Fri 07-Oct-16 18:52:03

I fully planned to but there wasn't enough time. 2nds often come more quickly

buckyou Fri 07-Oct-16 19:30:46

Interesting. I think i will go without. I don't wabt it to last any longer!

CazM2012 Fri 07-Oct-16 19:43:22

Baby number 1 was with a bit of paracetamol, number 2 was gas & air. For number 3 I was in pain and knew what was coming, thought fuck it I'll have an epidural, best thing for me in that labour at that time, no regrets and sped it all up as I actually relaxed. Currently expecting number 4 and will just wait and see what happens when we get to the hospital, I had a laugh to myself with the birth plan in my book this time as for me I just can't say beforehand what I want exactly!

KatharinaRosalie Fri 07-Oct-16 21:19:39

My epidural birth was 3.5 hours and I was fully mobile, walking around the entire time.

NocturneGmajor Fri 07-Oct-16 21:26:01

Yes, first birth at home, water pool.
Second, hospital epidural.
Still have no idea what possessed me to go natural first time round; looking back seems really strange.
Epidurals are wonderful!!!!

danadas Fri 07-Oct-16 21:30:20

Had an epidural with my third and I am still not sure why. I think just because it was offered.

I hated it. I couldn't move around, I had to be constantly monitored on my back, I had no sensation to push and to top it all off, I was readmitted to hospital 5 days later with an epidural headache which was by far the worst pain I have ever felt.

Never again for me if there is a number 4 however so many people rave about them that it must just not suit how I like to labour.

CountessOfStrathearn Sat 08-Oct-16 11:45:42

danadas, it sounds like you had a particularly rough time with your epidural but it is impossible to generalise that "it must just not suit how I like to labour". For my part, I could move around with mine, I didn't need to be on my back, I felt the urge to push and didn't have any headache with it.

"I don't know the figures but the instances of extended labours/c-secs/assisted deliveries is much higher in those women that have an epidural than those that don't."

Epidurals are certainly associated with longer labours and more difficult deliveries, but it isn't clear if they actually cause those issues. What is certainly clear in at least some of those cases is that women have had epidurals because of long labours, poor presentations etc, which all independently increase the risk of assisted delivery etc regardless of the epidural or not.

threelittlerapscallions Sat 08-Oct-16 12:47:05

My labours were shorter the 2nd and third times round (4 hrs and 3 hrs) so didn't need pain relief but did for 1st (12 hrs). Everyone is different - you are def not a wuss for having pain relief though! I just found the epidural didn't work properly 1st baby and also made me feel heavy and groggy afterwards wheras with the two babies without epidural I recovered superfast. So I would try not to have epidural if I had a 4th baby for that reason NOT because it would make me a wuss!!

GreatFuckability Sat 08-Oct-16 20:10:49

i had an epi with my first, didn't have time with the second two (and the pain wasn't ever anywhere near as bad as it was the first time round). I'd say see how it goes. if you feel like you need one at the time, then do it! there are no prizes in this labouring thing!

ReallyTired Sun 09-Oct-16 00:21:21

Epidurals are a wonderful invention and definitely have a place. I had an epidural the first time as after 27 hours in labour I was so tired I couldn't take the pain anymore. It was bliss.

With my second birth everything was a lot faster. There was no time for any gas an air yet alone industrial strength pain relief. I haven't yet been presented with a super women medal.

You can not compare different women's labours. There are so many factors that can affect pain. The position of the baby makes a huge difference to pain and length of labour. Back to back labours are not fun.

mathanxiety Sun 09-Oct-16 07:35:14

I had an epidural for DC1 (7lbs 5ozs). It was great and I really wanted one second time around but there was only one anesthesiologist on duty and he was busy elsewhere on the day, so DC2 arrived at 9lbs 4ozs and I felt every single minute and every single ounce of that.

For DC3 I didn't have time - baby was born 40 mins after arriving in the hosp, but a little smaller than DC2 anyway. After that I wasn't bothered for DCs4 and 5.

However, I agree with GreatFuckability - if you want one, ask for one - no prizes being given out.

mathanxiety Sun 09-Oct-16 07:39:50

Almost forgot, but how could I - I was induced for DC2, DC4 and DC5. DCs4 and 5 went fast after a pessary but for DC2 I had a drip for most of labour, so I really could have done with that epidural.

tohaveandhavenot Sun 09-Oct-16 07:56:35

You are not being a wuss.
I also don't think it gets any easier, perhaps faster though.
I had an epi with my first, nothing with my second and plan on an epidural with a side of crushed ice for my third.

Welshwabbit Sun 09-Oct-16 12:24:25

My first labour was 28 hours, and back to back for the first part. After 10 hours I had an epidural. I was practically catatonic before it went in! Afterwards it was much better. I didn't like everything that came with it, though, having to have a catheter afterwards, so I wanted to avoid it with my 2nd. In fact, I didn't really have an option - as my 1st labour was so painful because of the back to back thing, I had no idea what a "normal" labour would feel like, and I didn't realise how far along it had got (because the pain was actually less bad than when I was 2cm/3cm dilated in first labour); only just made it to hospital in time, a bit of gas and air and out he came (3 hours 40 mins in total). Don't get me wrong, it really, really hurt at the end, but it is so much easier when you know you're nearly there and it won't last for long. Just my experience but I have spoken to others who had a similarly quick second birth after a very long first labour. I would just see how you feel. For me, the epidural was definitely the right choice first time round even though I think it did take a bit longer; I was only 3 cm dilated at 10 hours and it was excruciating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now