Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Movements or gas? Anterior placenta

(8 Posts)
Jsh125 Fri 07-Oct-16 08:27:19

Hi everyone,

Am 24 weeks tomorrow & thought I'd been feeling some movement for a couple of weeks now, on & off. It seems to happen each day a couple of times & usually always when I go to bed. Sometimes it's just a couple of kicks, others it lasts for a few minutes or sometimes longer.

I know I have an anterior placenta & assumed it was all fine but last night I had lots of gas & it all seemed to coincide with feeling movements. I felt loads last night compared to normal. Is there any way to know if it's gas or baby? They were quite strong & in the front of my bump around my belly button, like a strong muscle twitch. It doesn't feel like normal gas but as its my first pregnancy I've got nothing to go on!

A bit worried it seems to coincide with gas a lot of the time, my husband is convinced it's the baby kicking.

I have my 25 week midwife appointment next week & have tried to phone her twice during this pregnancy, neither time she's phoned me back so not convinced she'll help me!!

I've tried drinking a cold drink & being still etc.. sometimes it works but usually only do it at night before bed so again, hard to know if that's a coincidence.

Just wondered if anyone else had a similar experience. If what I have felt isn't the baby then I've had no other feelings at all that could possibly be movement & am aware I should have done by now even with the anterior placenta.

Any help would be much appreciated smile

Xx

Becciilouisex3 Fri 07-Oct-16 09:33:03

I don't have an anterior placenta but I do know women who have that only began feeling movements around the 24 week mark.

With regards to movement, I've found at the beginning I'd compare them to muscle spasms like when you have them randomly in your leg or arm or whatever and you can feel it twitch. Now its definitely still like that but a more unique feeling that can only be described as feeling like a baby move inside your tummy haha, but I'm 38+3.

What I will say is I did google a few times whether or not baby's movement could cause me to have gas because I was sure it was movement I was feeling but I was very gassy at the same time! It could be gas but gas is very common in later pregnancy so it could just be a coincidence of timing. If what you're feeling feels like what I described it's probably baby. My BH also feel like trapped wind sometimes and it could be that! smile

Jsh125 Fri 07-Oct-16 12:21:59

Thanks so much for the reply. It definitely feels like you've described but still a bit concerned it's just extreme gas or something. Although surely that wouldn't happen for days on end I guess?

Just wish I could know for definite. Will pay attention over the weekend & if nothing changes will call midwife on Monday just to check.

If anyone else has any experience or advice I'd be really grateful to hear it smile.

Reetpetite17 Fri 07-Oct-16 12:30:54

I'm 25 weeks with anterior placenta too. I was gutted when I read 'anterior' on my scan notes, as I'd read it reduces being able to feel movement. I didn't know what my placenta position was with my 1st as it wasn't noted as far as I know (diff. hospital) but I felt him kicking hard around my second scan or just after I think. This pregnancy has been the same but was hoping to feel earlier.

I've been feeling movements from 19 weeks. They've got a lot more stronger in the last few weeks. You can definitely tell the difference from kicking and gas. I get kicked near my belly button, my side, all over actually... But if you're having kicks at the front you should be able to actually see the movement by now. And it's usually when you're sitting or laying in bed you can feel it most. I was surprised last week that I felt kicks whilst walking around Tesco, I didn't with my 1st.

Lay down and lightly press your hand to your belly, be patient and you may feel something hard poke you. Sometimes it feels like jerks or like baby is turning over.

Jsh125 Fri 07-Oct-16 14:39:50

Thanks so much, it definitely feels like pokes/muscle twitch but if I try proding it doesn't usually do much if not moving. If I'm laying down & it kicks near the front I can definitely see a little movement from the outside, nothing that even resembles a foot or arm or anything though but it's probably too early for that.

Wish you could see inside just to check!!

When should movement become regular? The feelings happen everyday but sometimes just a few at a time then nothing for ages. Not sure if that's ok or not!!

Titchypanda Fri 07-Oct-16 15:30:20

I have anterior placenta and am 25w. I have similar movements to you. From various hospital appointments, I know baby is very active. Have only had one kick, but feel baby doing roly polys a lot. I started feeling them around 19/20w.

Both my sister and Mum had anterior placenta too. My mum felt no movement when pregnant with me and my sister didn't feel anything until quite late pregnancy.

I think it differs for each of us. My baby is very low so that may be why I feel the turning.

duxb Fri 07-Oct-16 23:17:49

I have an anterior placenta (and a rather meaty one at that according to my scans). Didn't feel anything I could class as definite movement until 25 weeks and was incredibly anxious ahead of that as everyone was telling me I should have felt something.
At first they were swooshes and little nudges but quite quickly became full on kicks. The good thing was as it was so late the transition from little movements to big ones wasn't very long at all.

When she moves position, it's more difficult to feel her and often makes me nervous even now at 33 weeks. I've been in once for a trace due to reduced movement, as it's been quite difficult for me to monitor her.

Just try and notice a pattern that becomes normal for you and you're baby and use that as the benchmark.

Jsh125 Sun 09-Oct-16 18:14:54

Thanks so much for all your replies. Can definitely feel something so think I finally believe it's the baby!

I have a midwife appointment next week so can check all my questions about movement with her.

Thanks so much again, really appreciate it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now