Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy and ibs

(14 Posts)
MumofthreeandBean Fri 07-Oct-16 07:43:13

Recently diagnosed with ibs, I'm around 6.5 weeks pregnant and really struggling, I'm worried my food is not in me long enough to give any nutrients to the baby. Also I am hardly eating due to nausea and only drinking water.
I had new tablets to help which I started a couple of months ago but I don't think they are doing any good. I'm also now getting indigestion aswell which I thought I had got rid of, hubby is fed up of me feeling ill, I need positivity x

Spam88 Fri 07-Oct-16 11:08:46

What a rubbish time to be diagnosed with IBS flowers

If it helps, you will get to grips with managing it and working out some of your triggers, and I find I go through spells of it being bad and then it calms down for a while, so it won't always be as bad as it is now. Have you tried keeping a food diary? And if you don't think your medication is working then go back to your GP, there are a few options available that they could try for you smile

Scotmum83 Fri 07-Oct-16 12:48:07

Definately keep a food diary and see if anything aggrevates it. I was diagnosed with ibs about 6 years ago and have slowly worked out what foods make it worse. Things like muesli, brown bread, wholewheat pasta, brown rice make my stomach blow up so I look about 6 months pregnant. But milk is the worst for me especially cream. I have the odd bad day but most of the time it's fine now as long as I watch what I eat. Good luck hope it calms down for you.

With regard to the nausea, Maybe try eating little and often. I find porridge and oatcakes keep me going and as they are quite bland they don't make me want to puke at the moment! My nausea came back with a vengeance yesterday, not fun!

TeaGirl3 Fri 07-Oct-16 13:21:33

I'm an IBS sufferer and cannot recommend peppermint tea highly enough! It's the only thing that helps to settle my stomach/digestion. Appreciate it's not for everyone, as it does take a while to get used to it, but for me it works. I'd usually lie on my tummy too, but being pregnant I haven't been able to do this, so have relied on the tea and baths/hot water bottles instead. Hope you feel better soon and you're not suffering too much with other pregnancy side effects like morning sickness.

Titchypanda Fri 07-Oct-16 15:39:30

I have ibs too. The first trimester was very rough for me. Midwife said, just eat what you can keep down. I used to maintain a mostly vegan/veggie diet as it was the only thing that helped control ibs. But have had to eat some meat in the pregnancy in order to keep energy up. I can't have dairy or most fruit so understand how difficult it must be for you. I am 100% looking forward to being vegetarian again as I do not like meat at all.

My first trimester I literally lived on toast, rice and Coca Cola. It was all I could keep down.

Second trimester I'm better at eating balanced diet but fruit and certain carbs set off my ibs. Although that could be the morning sickness too!

A lot of people recommend ginger or peppermint tea, for me I can't keep them down.

Soup can be nutritious if you can stomach it.

I hope you are feeling better soon x

MumofthreeandBean Fri 07-Oct-16 18:30:32

Thankyou all X
I have been back to the dr today and changed my meds, not got to see my consultant until January but I might try and bring it forward.

I am trying to eat little and often, I am eating no dairy as it really does not agree with me but then dh said does anything agree with you at the minute?!
I am hoping I start to get a grip on this and I have already eliminated some foods that I think I have an issue with but it is so hard!!
Been feeling poorly for so long and this baby was a surprise and I just don't want anything to go wrong

orlstar Fri 07-Oct-16 18:33:14

Have you tried following the fodmap diet? I know it's hard, but try not to worry about the IBS - worrying about it makes it worse x

MumofthreeandBean Tue 01-Nov-16 16:16:33

Fodmap didn't work for me,
I try and stick with bland foods as much as I can.

AntiHop Tue 01-Nov-16 16:29:53

Have you been prescribed anti sickness tablets? Worked wonders during my pregnancy.

MumofthreeandBean Wed 02-Nov-16 07:10:21

No, I am on omoperazole and mebeverine at the moment, I switched back to these a few weeks back and so far I'm a lot better, the tablets the consultant had me on were not working at all and I was in the toilet all the time and had awful reflux.
I'm never actually sick but feel nautious a lot of the time.
Only eating bland foods too at the moment seems to help.

Starlight88 Wed 02-Nov-16 07:55:20

I gave up on anything prescribed. The only thing that ever helped was something I bought over the counter in France. I stick to fodmap when I'm bad, which obviously hasn't worked for you. I also use silicol gel that really helps and I take magnesium, calcium, zinc combined vitamin all the time. It's safe for pregnancy. Hope you're feeling better x

MumofthreeandBean Wed 02-Nov-16 08:15:57

Thankyou, it does help to hear what has helped others.
For now I am managing, hoping it stays this way until baby is here but I have a while as not due until june

Starlight88 Wed 02-Nov-16 10:14:05

I'm due June too, feels like a life time away doesn't it! Good luck x

MumofthreeandBean Wed 02-Nov-16 14:26:15

Come join the June thread, friendly bunch!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now