Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help! Need advice about consultants at UCLH (UCH) for antenatal/birth services!

(5 Posts)
TheJoneses Thu 06-Oct-16 13:13:17

Hi, we have recently become pregnant with our first (and probably only), and now have been asked to make choices about hospitals to have antenatal and birth care. We don't have great choices of hospitals because we are under Barnet CCG, and we think UCH is the least bet! We need advice about any particular consultants there that we should request, who will be good for a more medicalised birth (it's unlikely a natural option would work with out ending in emergency section due to family history). Also if there are any tips on what to request or who to avoid at uch that would be so helpful! We have no idea what to do as we only moved here from the midlands 2 years ago so have no friends to ask about this hospital! TIA XXXX

BeardMinge Fri 07-Oct-16 14:52:24

I'm not sure you get to request a specific consultant on the NHS, my personal experience is that you get who you get. For most of my appointments I was seen by a member of the consultant's team rather than the consultant herself.

A few friends have given birth at UCH with no complaints. I also found the EPU very good when I had a mmc and ERPC a few years ago.

I had a c-section at the Whittington in 2014, which was OK, but if I have another child I'm intending to go to UCLH because the transport links are more convenient.

Eastie77 Fri 07-Oct-16 17:20:39

I had both DC at UCH (2013 & 2015) and also don't think you can request/avoid a particular Consultant. But I only recall seeing a Consultant once and that was during my 2nd pregnancy. He tried to over-ride my decision to have an elective c-section (a decision based on the advice of another Consultant after an emergency c-sect with DC1) but I'm afraid I can't remember his name. I don't think it would help though as really don't think you can stipulate who you see. No complaints with treatment at UCHsmile

WorkingItOutAsIGo Fri 07-Oct-16 17:28:13

UCH is a great hospital - don't know why are so down on it. It's a teaching hospital and these usually tend to be the best. I would definitely choose it any day.

In my NHS experience, you don't get to choose your medical staff but if you need a more medicalised approach the system will naturally direct you towards consultant-led care.

Congratulations on your baby!

Wrapmeinjump Fri 07-Oct-16 17:29:11

I had an absolutely birth horrendous experience at UCH in March. PM me if you like as I'd rather not go into details on here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now