Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

aspirin in pregnancy

(13 Posts)
Helbelle75 Sat 01-Oct-16 03:20:51

I'm 41 and this is my 2nd pregnancy (way ended on mmc at 11 weeks). This puts me at risk or pre-eclampsia so I've been recommended aspirin throughout the pregnancy.
Anyone have any experiences of this?

sycamore54321 Sat 01-Oct-16 04:15:26

Not for the same reasons as you but I was on aspirin before conceiving and nearly all the way through my third pregnancy (first two were miscarriages). It was largely fine. I had lots of incidents of first trimester bleeds and spotting when on aspirin which were absolutely terrifying - they don't know for sure if it was the cause but I didnt have the slightest bleeding in the 11 and 8 weeks of my first two unsuccessful pregnancies, so I do suspect the aspirin was related. You obviously need to be checked for any bleeding each time it happens. Thankfully my aspirin pregnancy went full term and was successful.

My next pregnancy (still ongoing) I was on aspirin pre-conception and until my first consultant appointment at 5w6days when I was switched to injecting Clexane, (history of DVT after previous pregnancy). While on the aspirin again I had lots of spotting in that time, but it stopped immediately when I was switched to Clexane.

While there is no absolute proof, I do believe aspirin was the key factor in my successful pregnancy.

I am sorry abouI your miscarriage. I don't know anything about pre-e risk, this wasn't an issue for me so I can't relate to that part.

siddis Sat 01-Oct-16 09:02:55

Sorry to hear about your MMC. I had pregnancy-induced hypertension in my previous pregnancy and took aspirin from 12 weeks (plus blood pressure medication) as hypertension is a risk factor for pre-eclampsia. Same again with this pregnancy, started with aspirin at 12 weeks. No problems in either pregnancy related to the aspirin (no bleeding etc).

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 01-Oct-16 10:50:24

Sorry to hear about mc

I'm on aspirin 75mg daily due to a dvt 10yrs ago plus heparin injections daily - tummy is a mixture of yellow purple green blue grey bruises sad

People I've spoken to Also took baby aspirin while on ivf

Whatsername17 Sat 01-Oct-16 11:02:54

I'm taking it due to a clotting issue and previous hypertension. I also had a mmc at 13 weeks in between this pregnancy and my first daughter. If the medical professionals recommend it, take it. It really will not do any harm.

BibbidiBobbidi Sat 01-Oct-16 11:10:08

I was also a risk of pre-eclampsia and took aspirin.
I took one pill a day from week 12 right up until the end and everything was fine, no pre-eclampsia and no complications from taking the aspirin either

BibbidiBobbidi Sat 01-Oct-16 11:10:37

I was also a risk of pre-eclampsia and took aspirin.
I took one pill a day from week 12 right up until the end and everything was fine, no pre-eclampsia and no complications from taking the aspirin either

SquedgieBeckenheim Sat 01-Oct-16 11:24:33

I was prescribed it as I had pre eclampsia last time. However I can't take it due to horrendous heartburn. I researched it a lot and there are minimal risks as they only prescribe the low dose. It's widely used in pregnancy.

hashtagtubechat Sat 01-Oct-16 12:39:33

I'm 16 weeks, been taking aspirin from 12 weeks due to low Papp-a. So far so good, two consultants reassured me it's perfectly safe. Hope all goes well for you

NeverAShadowOfDoubt Sat 01-Oct-16 13:13:17

I'm also taking aspirin 75mg daily as it's my first pregnancy, it's twins, I'm age 35 and close relatives have had it during pregnancy. Been taking it since 13 weeks to help prevent pre eclampsia as the above are classed as high risk apparently. I'm 21 weeks now and had no problems with it.

Helbelle75 Sat 01-Oct-16 15:38:32

Thanks everyone. I started them this morning. Seems to be more common than I thought!

sycamore54321 Sat 01-Oct-16 16:27:35

One thing to watch is you will bleed minors easily if you get a cut so be extra careful. My docto advised switching to an electric razor for shaving legs to reduce risk. And keep well up on tooth flossing etc otherwise your gums can bleed easier. But otherwise side effects really were not a major concern for me.

Best of luck.

Helbelle75 Sat 01-Oct-16 16:53:54

They're good ideas, thanks. I have an electric razor somehere- I'll dig it out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now