Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How to cope with a cold when pregnant

(14 Posts)
MoonlightMojitos Thu 29-Sep-16 12:54:11

The last few days I've had a stuffy head and sore throat but nothing I couldn't deal with. Today, I have woken up the cold from hell. Everything aches, I can't breathe, my voice is almost gone. And I'm in work lying to people that I've taken medicine because they all keep offering me things while I sip honey and lemon in hot water and feel very sorry for myself sad. Any more natural remedies or anything baby safe I can take? I'm only literally 4 weeks. I'm also panicking that it's going to hurt the baby... I miscarried last time so am on edge anyway. It's going to be OK isn't it? Thanks in advance.

Oysterbabe Thu 29-Sep-16 12:57:25

You can take paracetamol.

handsfree Thu 29-Sep-16 12:58:21

Menthol crystals in boiling water to help clear your nose. They're amazing.

ps2304 Thu 29-Sep-16 13:00:36

Get yourself home and rest up!

Dixiechick17 Thu 29-Sep-16 13:02:20

Calpol saline solution is good for a blocked nose and menthol crystals

CuriosityDoor Thu 29-Sep-16 15:14:23

You can get some nasal sprays that are safe to use during pregnancy.

Don't use olbas oil or echinacea!

Chocoholicmonster Thu 29-Sep-16 16:26:25

Paracetamol is allowed during pregnancy which might help with the aches but I agree with a PP - get yourself home & rest. Hope you feel better very soon.

MoonlightMojitos Thu 29-Sep-16 16:45:14

Thanks ladies. I've left work early and am curled up on sofa now, I'll definately see where I can get some menthol crystals tomorrow.

Nimisha Thu 29-Sep-16 17:54:29

I feel your pain, I'm 6 weeks and full of cold. Coughing loads. Been taking paracetamol, I didn't know about menthol crystals. Lying on the sofa too, and getting heart burn too.

Newmum90 Thu 29-Sep-16 20:12:05

38 + 1 here and have been suffering since yesterday... no advice but i feel your pain!

duxb Thu 29-Sep-16 20:30:47

You can use Vicks but not olbas. The "old wives" tale of Vicks on the feet & then socks to sleep really does work.

Also hot water, honey & lemon is a better remedy than lots of over the counter stuff.

You have my sympathy - I had a stinker of a cold at 6 weeks pregnant and it was awful. If you get comfy enough to sleep it will help loads

Christmasbaby16 Sun 02-Oct-16 15:15:37

I had a cold at the start of my pregnancy...I'm afraid you just have to get on with it hmm

imnotreally Sun 02-Oct-16 15:19:57

You can steam your head for the blocked nose. If you add a bit of eucalyptus oil it can help too.

Cakescakescakes Sun 02-Oct-16 15:21:31

You can use the Vicks inhaler nasal stick. Just not the Olbas one. It really helped me survive colds when I was pregnant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now