Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Risk of Diabetes

(6 Posts)
MumofthreeandBean Tue 27-Sep-16 18:54:58

I had the tests for diabetes with two of my previous pregnancies but all was well, I suppose being 37 and having history of type 1 diabetes in my family make me high risk.

How do they do the test now? Still drink vile lucozade and blood tests hourly?? Nightmare!

melibu84 Tue 27-Sep-16 18:57:16

I had a blood test at approximately 10am, then they gave me a vile sugary drink (not sure if it was lucozade), then a couple of hours later I had another test

wetpebbles Tue 27-Sep-16 21:49:58

Fasting from midnight only allowed sips of water, blood test at 8am, glucose drink then another blood test at 10am. I asked to have mine at local gp instead of hospital so I could go home inbetween as have a toddler and didn't want to sit in hospital for 2 hours.
I had a headache all day though probably from being dehydrated and then overloaded with sugar!

BreatheDeep Wed 28-Sep-16 07:40:53

It's different in every area. I had to fast for 12 hours over night then drink a measured amount of lucozade at 8am, then have blood test 2 hours later.

melibu84 Wed 28-Sep-16 07:42:32

Oh yeah, I did have to fast for 12 hours beforehand. that really sucked. At the stage i had my test, I was having 6 meals a day :D

MumofthreeandBean Wed 28-Sep-16 08:20:43

Thankyou, sounds pretty much as it was last time I had it x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now