Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

heavily preggers. bringing baby stuff down from the attic. want to re-use where possible, but what on this list do I really need to chuck and buy new for bump?

(25 Posts)
mustthinkofabetterusername Mon 26-Sep-16 16:49:30

So, the baby crap is coming out of storage. Dc1 is two, so everything fairly recent and in good condition (precious first born syndrome)

Dh is determined to be practical and re-use. I'd love some new wee bits for bubba when they arrive (imminently), but ultimately am practical at heart. So the question is, what on this list really needs chucked and new ones repurchased (e.g. for hygiene reasons etc)

Thanks in advance mn!

Re-use or chuck???
Bottles
Teats
Breast pump attachments

Baby scissors/brush/comb set

Baby bath towels
Muslins (they do look clean, but not sure whether to re-use or not)
Cellular blankets
Bibs
Cot sheets
Pram sheets

??is there anything else not on this list that I should be chucking??

BitchPeas Mon 26-Sep-16 16:51:09

I'd definitely throw the teats and buy new ones. Maybe the breast pump attachments, depending on how much they'd been used.

The rest id wash and re use.

Fruityflapjack Mon 26-Sep-16 17:02:42

New teats. Is reuse everything else. I've recently had DD2 and bought a few new baby grows, I wanted her to have something new of her own (silly I know as its not like she'd know at this age!)
She's just grown out of them and I plan on Isobel them to make a keepsake teddy. DD1 has one made from baby grows so I think it would be nice to do the same doe DD2 with her exclusive ones.
I'll also have to buy the odd new thing as she grows as she's a summer baby and DD1 was a spring.

Congratulations smileflowers hope everything goes smoothly for you

Ginslinger Mon 26-Sep-16 17:05:56

new teats but re-use everything else - just wash everything else and use the money you save to buy things for when new one is a bit older

Thenorr Mon 26-Sep-16 19:49:48

Can I ask why new teats are needed? Mine are less than 2 years old so I just though I could sterilise them - is that not enough? Thanks

Lovewatchingrainfall Mon 26-Sep-16 19:55:15

I agree the teats should be thrown and new ones brought.
Check the pump attachments and if look worn or discoloured or out of shape by new ones.

Wash everything else maybe buy baby a new blanket if you want to.

mustthinkofabetterusername Mon 26-Sep-16 21:52:09

Thanks. Also making a list of all the crap stuff I need to buy for me ......breast pads, maternity pads etc I'd totally forgotten I won't even "get my body back" to myself for quite a while after baby arrives!!!! Looking forward to the new arrival, but it's all getting real now .... I'm not just pregnant .... there's another person coming to live in this house!

ConvincingLiar Tue 27-Sep-16 07:09:12

I'd probably only buy new teats if the old ones were in poor condition - I know some of ours were bitten. Yes they've been in DC1's mouth, but so have your forks and they don't even get sterilised.

PotteringAlong Tue 27-Sep-16 07:16:24

I would reuse it all.

YesThisIsMe Tue 27-Sep-16 07:25:32

New teats is a matter of personal preference. If you know they were squeaky clean when they were packed away, they look in good condition and you rewash and sterilise now then that's fine. I personally would replace though.

YesThisIsMe Tue 27-Sep-16 07:26:08

Muslins can be washed at 90 degrees so absolutely no reason not to reuse.

fitzbilly Tue 27-Sep-16 07:30:34

I'd wash and reuse it so apart from the teets, unless you best fed and hardly used them? But if you are planning to just bottle feed you might as well buy new teets.

People will give you loads of new stuff as passengers so there is no point buying any.

Save your money to do something fun with, or use it as coffee money for all the times you'll need to get out.

Fluffsnuts Tue 27-Sep-16 08:27:03

I'd reuse it all, but I breastfeed so our teats have minimal use.

Nikki2ol6 Tue 27-Sep-16 10:04:58

We got everything new except the bigger stuff like the bouncy chair and steriliser. You deffo need New Teats

Afreshstartplease Tue 27-Sep-16 10:10:12

I think ota recommended to replace teats regularly. A quick Google and Tommee tippee state every 8-12 weeks. Nuk state every 1-2 months.

Afreshstartplease Tue 27-Sep-16 10:10:36

It's not ota

Crystal15 Tue 27-Sep-16 11:08:06

I'd buy new bottles and teats. Rest is fine smile

sidonie1 Tue 27-Sep-16 13:48:41

I'm reusing everything - bottles/undamaged teats/etc. As long as sterilised, I can't see there's a problem. The only thing I've bought is a new mattress for the cot re: cot death advice given.

user1472662726 Tue 27-Sep-16 14:43:40

Can I hijack and ask a question pls? My youngest is 7 and all being well new baby should be here in April. So our stuff has bee n in loft for literally years.

The loft is dry...I think. . And everything is double bagged. I'm maybe being obsessive but is it ok to use stuff like tge car seat, moses basket etc when it's been up there? Obviously I'll get a new mattress. Thanks

mustthinkofabetterusername Tue 27-Sep-16 16:12:29

Thank you! New teats are now on the shopping list!

No probs user, hijack away!

NovemberInDailyFailLand Wed 28-Sep-16 09:33:28

User, you'll need to check it over. Though, my sons have used some of my brother's old stuff from decades ago smile

Seeline Wed 28-Sep-16 09:36:39

user - I'd check the rules on car seats - I think it's recommended that they be replaced after 5 years, regardless of whether they have been bumped, as the plastic deteriorates.

SolomanDaisy Wed 28-Sep-16 09:44:27

I agree you can't reuse 7 year-old car seats. We've just had to buy new as DS is five so they're too old and won't meet the new isize regulations anyway.

I would replace the breastpump stuff. I read a scary article about it a while ago and have bought a new breast pump!

Afreshstartplease Wed 28-Sep-16 10:23:29

Yes I wouldn't reuse a carseat after 7 years either

I reused for DC1+2 but they were only 16 months apart, it was literally one out one in

user1472662726 Wed 28-Sep-16 16:22:35

Many thanks for getting bsck to me to car seat.....I had no clue about the plastic deteriorating, I was more concerned about, well I'm not sure what really, some hidden mould maybe??

On another note, does anyone know can you buy replacement plastic bits for a breast pump and keep the same main components? Thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now