Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Subchorionic Haematoma and PROM

(5 Posts)
GrassIsJewelled Thu 22-Sep-16 22:07:22

I have had this in my two pregnancies and I feel as though it might be contributing to why my waters break prematurely, however the NHS don't seem to do any kind of investigation into this. Does anyone else suffer with this and have you found a reason for it? How did you prevent it in future pregnancies?

Barefootcontessa84 Fri 23-Sep-16 10:06:06

I currently have an SCH (I'm 14 weeks) and have been told that they want it gone by 20 weeks, otherwise the risk of PROM rises. They have stated quite clearly the risk between the two - it is because blood is an irritant to the sac. Unfortunately there isn't anything they can do for the SCH, however I have been told to rest as much as I possibly can to get rid of the clot asap. There is no further investigation they can do, and there is nothing to prevent it - but yes there is a direct link between SCH and PROM.

GrassIsJewelled Fri 23-Sep-16 15:44:46

Thanks barefoot. Have you heard of taking Clexane to help by any chance? I've also read of clotting disorders and blood tests to look into this but the consultant didn't mention anything :/

Barefootcontessa84 Fri 23-Sep-16 18:15:40

Hi OP - in fact SCH is the opposite issue to a clotting disorder - the SCH forms because there is an area of bleeding. We actually want the area to clot, so unfortunately clexane would have the opposite effect. In fact, I have a complicated form of hypertension and on medication for that and although I should also be taking baby aspirin too, I've been told not to while I still have the SCH.
SCH is unfortunately not related to any sort of clotting disorder, which you would have had your whole life prior to pregnancy. It's just dodgy implantation of the embryo which can't be predicted - though it's very unfortunate you've had it in two pregnancies.
At what stage did your waters break?

Barefootcontessa84 Fri 23-Sep-16 18:18:28

And when I say they want the clot gone, they want it reabsorbed by the body so the area of bleeding / bit where the placenta has torn away heals like a scab rather than keep bleeding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now