Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

..do I tell midwive..

(10 Posts)
Mummyandwife85 Thu 22-Sep-16 15:57:58

Hi so basically going for a private early scan tomorrow 6+ 3 or 4 and just wondering if you are supposed to tell the midwife at ur booking appointment if you have had a private scan or not? and it will affect any early scans that she may want u to have ect?? never had a private scan before so just wondering... thanks lovely ❤💐☕

drinkyourmilk Thu 22-Sep-16 16:00:58

I had a private scan (ivf ) and the midwife just added the report to my notes.

Slave2thecat Thu 22-Sep-16 16:02:51

Tell the midwife. I too had an early scan, it helped the midwife to know that we had seem a healthy tiny baby, it made no difference to future scans. She was quite excited for us and asked us questions about the heart beat, photos etc.

Mummyandwife85 Thu 22-Sep-16 16:47:09

Aww that's lovely <slave2thecat> how early did u have ur scan? X I got booking appointment in 13days x

Slave2thecat Thu 22-Sep-16 16:52:33

Our scan was at 7 weeks plus a day, it was awesome. I cried. Hope your scan goes well - I was terrified before mine.

TheWiseOldElf Thu 22-Sep-16 16:58:09

I've had early scans with all 3 of mine. In my first pregnancy I told the midwife at the booking in appointment that we were going for the scan the following day. She told me not to tell the sonographer at the dating scan in case they refused to do it as it was dangerous to have too many scans. I have since learnt that this is absolute nonsense - there's no way you would be refused a dating scan (a necessary medical procedure) and there is no proven evidence of any harm caused by too many scans. It makes me quite cross now that she made such a stupid ill-considered comment.

Anyway, rant over - enjoy your scan smile

Mummyandwife85 Thu 22-Sep-16 18:15:40

Thank you both xx flowers flowers I think my DH will definitely cry lol this pregnancy got him very emotional lately lol keep joking he is in sympathy with me cos he complained of loads of strange this lately lol 😂😂😂😂😂😂 xxxxxx

hopeful31yrs Thu 22-Sep-16 19:57:56

It's not going to change anything at this stage. I had to have multiple private scans part of my IVF, and then had a major bleed. Didn't change my normal NHS scan schedule.

Honeybee79 Thu 22-Sep-16 21:29:49

I also had early private scans due to IVF (one at 6 + 4, another at 8 +3) and the midwife just filed them in my notes. I then went on to have all the usual NHS scans.

purpleporpoise Thu 22-Sep-16 21:34:49

I told them but it didn't affect the scans I had with NHS. They weren't interested in the results of harmony test either - nothing put in my notes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now