Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy Reasurance

(4 Posts)
user1474480139 Wed 21-Sep-16 19:13:21

Hi all,

I'm having such a stressful start to my pregnancy and desperately need some reasurance. This info is pretty delicate to deal with but I'm a bag of nerves and need your advice. I believe I'm 8 weeks pregnant- lmp 26/07/16 and im certain I ovulate on day 16 of a 30 day cycle as ive used ovulation kits for the last 3 months. I had sex on the days around my ovulation (9-15th August) as we have been trying for a baby. On the 22/7/16 (4 days before my last period) I was assulted whilst on a night out, I told my husband immediately and he has been an amazing support. Ive had screening tests which have come back negative but I didn't take emergency contraception as the person didn't ejaculate and I knew my period was coming (I look back now and really wish I had). Me and my husband decided that we still wanted to continue to try in August and 2 weeks later on the 26th August I got my first faint positive. At first I was so happy, we couldn't believe it but because of what's happened we went for an early/Reasurance scan and they have dated me a 6.1 which is a huge relief as this matches my dates perfectly (this was just over a week ago). I know this should be enough to put my mind at ease but I keep on having horrible flash backs and feeling physically sick and nervous that 'what happens if it's not his...' I read a few feeds on here which say that sometimes early scanning can be inaccurate, could it be 3 weeks out?! The scan showed a heart beat and tiny limb buds. My head is all over the place right now but I don't want to keep talking to my husband about it although he understands.

Honeybee79 Wed 21-Sep-16 20:32:13

Firstly, I am so sorry to hear that you have been through such a horrific ordeal.

In my experience, scans aren't out by that much. I have had IVF and v early scans have always matched the correct date exactly and with IVF there is no "maybe" about the dates.

Are you receiving any counselling or other professional support in relation to the assault? If not, do you think it might help you? As some of the fear and panic you are feeling is likely to be a result of the assault itself and some help/a trained ear might help you feel better in relation to the pregnancy and everything else you will inevitably be dealing with.

user1474480139 Wed 21-Sep-16 20:56:13

Thank you for your reply, when I go through all my dates/period/ovulation/date of first positive result/scan, all of it is in line with my dates. In fact, it's like I'm certain it can't be wrong as it wouldn't add up, so I guess you're right, a huge part of it probably is after what's happened. Thank you for your reasurance and suggestion. My husband said the same thing about speaking to someone and ive tried to put it behind me and move forward but perhaps I should speak to my doctor again about being referred. Im trying to stay positive as this is all we've wanted for a while, it's just so hard that this is playing on my mind. Thank you for your support though smile

Honeybee79 Wed 21-Sep-16 22:31:45

Good luck with everything. Speak to your GP or, if the Police are involved they may be able to get you some assistance a bit faster?

Am no expert, but the feelings you describe sound normal in light of what you have been through and if you get some help to deal with them then hopefully things will improve and you will be able to enjoy your pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now