Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Low amniotic fluid

(11 Posts)
Stilldreamingofsun Wed 21-Sep-16 15:42:36

34 weeks pregnant and amniotic fluid level is only 6.5cm. Been put on maternity leave and told to rest. Does anyone have any experience? Why could have caused it? Will it come back up in a week? Doctor also mentioned increased possibility of having a caesarean in the next few weeks. My baby's head is measuring large and the placenta is low so I guess this is good advice? I'm 35 and a FTM so finding this all a lot to take in!

wherewhere Wed 21-Sep-16 15:47:47

I had this. Baby was born by c- section at 38 weeks. No complications whatsoever. I was 41. Press your doctors for answers t any questions you may have. It was no issue at all for us, but don't let yourself worry

user1473371143 Wed 21-Sep-16 21:43:42

Hello, I had low amniotic fluid with my first. It was discovered around 34 weeks, I went on maternity leave shortly after - the consultant signed me off and told me to rest. I blamed myself and read a ton about it but there's no conclusive evidence. I even upped my intake of water incase it would help! I thought it was stress at work in the lead up to me leaving, and/or the fumes from painting his nursery that caused it - this is untrue, no evidence at all for this, but I was panicking. In the end I was uncomfortable as fluid reduced to 3rd centile so the hospital induced me on my due date. No one seemed that concerned about it apart from me, to be honest. My son is now nearly 3 & has always had a large head (relating to your post) & was a normal 7lb 2oz at birth and has never had any complications. I'm pregnant again & my midwife has looked up whether l need monitoring again & apparently not, it was just a one off. So my advice is push for extra scans and keep asking how this development effects your baby and any birth plans.

Stilldreamingofsun Thu 22-Sep-16 08:52:56

Thank you both so much! I should say that normally I am no shrinking violet and would quiz the doctor within an inch of her life. However, I am not living in an English speaking country at the moment so it isn't as easy. We are covered under private health insurance. I really hope this isn't the reason my doctor is pushing for a c section, but I can't be positive. I go back in Tuesday. I have been guzzling gallons of water/ you never know!!

welshweasel Thu 22-Sep-16 08:58:29

Yes I had this. It's usually a sign that your placenta isn't working well. I ended up with a Caesarian at 35 weeks. Baby was completely fine. At 34 weeks I'd be pushing for review sooner than a week and if you have any reduction in movements at all then you need to go straight in and have monitoring.

Stilldreamingofsun Thu 22-Sep-16 09:01:31

Thanks Welsh- from memory do you remember the level? Mine is 6.5 cm. She said recommended is between 8 and 18. Good advice re movements. Would def pick up on that as this little munchkin never stops wriggling!!

SauvignonPlonker Thu 22-Sep-16 09:04:23

I had this at 35 weeks; fluid was just gradually decreasing & there isn't anything you can do to increase it. I just had a crappy placenta (previous PE, so I was being monitored closely).

I was on daily reviews, looking at BP, ultrasound showing flow through umbilical cord, foetal monitoring. I had steroids then an EMCS as DD was breach, when it reached the critical level (<5cm I think).

Stilldreamingofsun Thu 22-Sep-16 09:06:42

The strange thing is she thinks the placenta is working fine. What week did you have the EMCS Sauvignon? She said that she doesn't want to induce me as its my first?

welshweasel Thu 22-Sep-16 09:55:18

Mine was about 7 but varied from week to week. It was picked up at 30 weeks and I had twice weekly scans and monitoring from then on. As a PP has said they kept an eye on the blood flow to the baby and various pressures in vessels within the baby as well as growth. Growth improved for me once I stopped work but the pressures worsened at 35 weeks which was the trigger for delivery. I had steroids at 32 weeks as they thought they may have to deliver me then.

Baz13 Thu 22-Sep-16 10:30:05

I had a growth scan this week at 34+2 and my amniotic fluid is measuring 6.4cm at it's deepest pool, I have anterior placenta but it has gone from low to high, which is good. No one said this was low to me.
Fetal growth just above average and estimated weight is 5lb 12oz (my other two babies were nice sizes).

Hope all goes well for you still dreaming smile

SauvignonPlonker Thu 22-Sep-16 11:36:59

I got to 35+6, emcs was needed due to breech presentation.

If you're keen to avoid a Caesarian, you could ask for induction, but it's possible your cervix would be unfavourable at this early stage & you'd be fairly likely to need an emcs anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now