Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How soon to try again?

(6 Posts)
boopdoop Wed 21-Sep-16 14:07:24

I've just had a scan at 6 weeks which confirmed I did have an early miscarriage 11 days ago. I'm ok, obviously sad, but feeling fairly philosophical about it. I'd like to try again straight away (if I am still to ovulate) but the midwife we saw said to wait till after next period... I've been reading lots on forums etc and have seen many people saying they tried again, and were sometimes advised to try straight away, if ok emotionally.

I guess I am asking regarding the physical side of things - is it ok to try again straight away if I can or should we wait? Any advice?

charlotte1990 Wed 21-Sep-16 14:11:25

Hi, I had a miscarriage in January and we waited until the next period. I didn't fall again until June, then I had a chemical pregnancy. I then fell in July and am now 8weeks 6 days and had an early scan Monday to show all is looking good.

It is completely upto I just felt like I wouldn't heal emotionally and mentally again until I was pregnant and tbh I am feeling a lot better now. I still worry about this one even though I have had a scan.

Good luck and do what you feel will help you most x

Elephantsaremygods Wed 21-Sep-16 14:16:36

flowers

Sorry for your loss.

I also had an MC at 6 weeks and didn't even wait for a period. Got pregnant the very next cycle and that baby is now rolling around on the carpet in front of me.

It's a personal decision.

MrsStavrum Wed 21-Sep-16 14:17:13

Hi,
So sorry to hear about your miscarriage but glad you are feeling ok about it. I had a complete miscarriage at 9 weeks but didn't find out until my 12 week scan. We were also advised to wait for a period before trying and a big part of this is to do with dating the pregnancy. If you get pregnant without a period its very hard to work out how far along you are and may cause unnecessary stress wondering if the baby is growing fast enough (ie you might think you are 6 weeks but the baby's size suggests 5 weeks and it might just be that your dates are wrong).
The nurse also suggested that it helps make sure everything has gone from the previous pregnancy.
I became pregnant again the first time we tried so we were very lucky that we didn't have to wait long. Good luck flowers

Fluffsnuts Wed 21-Sep-16 14:39:18

It's a personal decision. It's easier to date the pregnancy if you wait for a period however. Sorry for your loss.

boopdoop Wed 21-Sep-16 18:30:31

Thanks, I think we'll just go for trying and see what happens. I'll use ovulation sticks, so if I do manage to get pregnant straight away, whilst there won't be a last period dare, at least we should know roughly when we actually got pregnant. Appreciate your responses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now