Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Would anyone mind talking to me about ELCS

(10 Posts)
Butterpuff Wed 21-Sep-16 13:36:31

We found out last week at 13 weeks that our baby has TGA and will need heart surgery after her or she arrives. For that reason we will have a scheduled delivery around 38 weeks in a hospital close to GOS rather than our local. I had an emergency EMCS with DD at 40+15 due to failure to progress (labor started after a sweep, waters were broken by midwife and induction drugs caused DD to stress).

This time knowing that I will likely be induced whatever and that we will have a very tough few weeks with baby in intensive care and needing surgery I am considering asking for an ELCS as I have heard that recovery time is better and I need to be in the best possible place for baby. Also, baby will need to go directly to intensive care after birth and I figure that I'd rather that happen during a day shift when everyone is at their brightest rather than possibly in the middle of the night. I know VBAC is still a possibility but I'm not sure if I want to risk it.

I'd love to hear people's ELCS experience so that I can understand if it will be the more strait forward, less stressful experience I'm hoping for and if the recovery is likely to be better.

Thanks.

white66 Wed 21-Sep-16 14:36:39

I had an ELCS 6 weeks ago, like you I had a previous EMCS and I was attempting a VBAC but hadn't labour signs so requested a ELCS at 41 weeks. It was very calm, theatre staff lovely and chatty- nothing was rushed. I found the recovery slightly harder than previous but had quite a bit of scar tissue so they said that was the cause. Was still up and showering next morning and normal at home 2 days later. It was overLl very positive. Sorry to hear your baby will need a lot of input after, might be worth asking if an C section has any medical knock on for the baby etc

MrsSecker Fri 23-Sep-16 03:13:39

Place marking as I'm having an ELCS too at 38 weeks.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Fri 23-Sep-16 06:24:59

I had an ELCS for similar reasons to you as DD needed a certain pediatrician present and people that could perform a blood transfusion with blood ordered in. As it turned out she didn't need any of this and was on the ward with me.

Anyway ELCS much nicer than emcs. It takes a lot longer and I found scar to be neater. Everyone really nice, I think especially as they knew the situation.
Obvious downside is someone else will go with your child if an immediate operation is needed as you'll be immobile.

Hope it goes well

Penguina Fri 23-Sep-16 08:05:49

Haven't had emcs but had elcs 16 weeks ago dhe to my dd having an undiagnosed condition which I'm still convinced is a birth injury.

It was such a lovely experience with no stress or worry of going in to labour.

I did feel sick as a dog afterwards bit I hadn't eaten in 3 days due to a stomach bug so that was probably why. I had the usual 2 hours in recovery with my baby and felt right as rain after.
Had there been something wrong with him I would have felt ok enough for someone to take me with him.
Many vaginally births can be just as painful or worse than a section and my recovery from my elcs was easier than my standard vaginally birth a year earlier.
My section was at 4pm and I wanted to be put of bed at 8am the next morning but the stupid doctor wouldn't let me and I was still in my gown which was disgusting but that's probably just my hospital being over stretched.

Best of luck

Butterpuff Sat 24-Sep-16 08:24:18

Thanks very much for the responses. Hopefully little one will hold on a couple of days so that we can transfer together for the op. Sorting out my current scar would be nice too.

Honeybee79 Sat 24-Sep-16 14:23:45

Marking my place as we have to decide whether to have an elective over the next few weeks. Had an EMCS with DS.

PikachuSayBoo Sat 24-Sep-16 14:40:03

You need to find out when they will plan to transfer your baby to GOS. You're unlikely to be fit for discharge for at least 24 hours following a lscs.

Even if baby stays in the same hospital you're not going to be able to go to the NICu to see baby for a good few hours. You need to be sitting up and able to get in and out a wheelchair.

Butterpuff Sat 24-Sep-16 15:50:45

Thanks, transfer to GOS will likely 3 days ish if all to plan.

I didn't think about the time before we are together. I think we should have some time before baby goes into nicu but will then obviously be separated again until I am able to get out of bed.

I don't remember the first few hours after Dd was born really as it had been long and hard. I do remember Dr being gone for quite a while. But no idea how long.

PikachuSayBoo Sat 24-Sep-16 15:55:32

I think generally the recovery time is better after a vaginal birth.

Where I work (im a midwife) any baby where there is a plan for them to go to nicu go straight to nicu after birth. So a Paed is present for delivery. Mum/dad get a quick cuddle and baby is taken off in a transport incubator.

So talk to your midwife/paediatricians at the hospital and ask what the immediate post birth plan is. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now