Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Has anyone here been given cyclizine injection' to self administer at home to treat HG?

(9 Posts)
CuriousCourgette Wed 21-Sep-16 13:10:48

Has anyone here been given cyclizine injections to self administer at home to treat HG?

Also, is an early scan standard in hospital on admission for HG/being given the aforementioned prescription? Thanks.

CuriousCourgette Wed 21-Sep-16 13:29:46

I was never given injections to do myself I had ondansetron (zofran) tablets. I had a scan at 7 weeks because they were checking to see if it was a multiple birth that was causing increased hormones.

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Wed 21-Sep-16 13:40:47

Cyclizine is not an easy injection to give. It can cause quite a bit of pain & make you feel quite unwell. I've never heard of injection form being given as a TTA (take away med from hospital)

CuriousCourgette Wed 21-Sep-16 13:55:12

Thank you, someone I know has been giving me lots of information about their HG diagnosis and I feel awful but I'm suspicious they are lying. I have had HG in both of my pregnancies with multiple admissions and had to try multiple med/med combinations and have regular IV hydration. I also had scans to check for multiples both times but they said they haven't been scanned and apparently do not have enough 'points' to be admitted despite the fact they say they still can't keep anything down at all (although they are out and about according to their face book).

They are saying this is what they have been given multiple cyclizine injections per day (although admittedly they do have experience with administering injections before this). It's not something I've heard off myself so thought I would check in case with was a more common thing than I thought.

CocoLoco87 Thu 22-Sep-16 09:49:27

I've been admitted to hosp with HG in both pregnancies and not heard about cyclizine injections! For DS1 I had scans each time I was admitted but for DS2 I only had a scan the first time I was admitted.

They didn't always admit me when I turned up because I didn't have enough keytones in my urine. I technically wasn't dehydrated enough even though I couldn't keep anything down. I usually ended up back there the following day in an even worse state and would be admitted.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 22-Sep-16 09:56:00

Injections no but on cyclizine tablets and helped a lot

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Thu 22-Sep-16 15:02:31

Cyclizine is widely used in the injectable form both in to a vein & into a muscle, it is a common medication in hospitals, in tablet form it is also relatively common in the community (although less so in recent years I believe). The dose is usually 50mg up to 3 times a day

OurLass Thu 22-Sep-16 15:04:30

Didn't you post about this yesterday OP???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now