Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Midwife Cancelled 16 week check

(9 Posts)
Heidipiedy Wed 21-Sep-16 09:33:33

Hi All,
This is my Second Pregnancy, I was scheduled to have my 16 week check this morning but My midwife called me 40 mins before to cancel/ reaarange it. She said my local clinic with her is new and no one else in the 6 weeks since I last saw her has booked in.

She wanted me to go to another clinic this afternoon, but my appointments have been booked around my work and my babysitting (me and my friend share childcare between our work and this afternoon I have her little girl), so cant go today. This other clinic is also quite a drive away and not on a direct bus line from me, where this morning it was just around the corner.

I dont know how I feel about this. Surely as the first appointment of the morning she could have seen me and then gone back to her other clinic this afternoon - is it my fault no one else has booked in?

Maybe Im just a bit disgruntled as my local area also mucked up my NT scan and screening last week as they didnt tell me I needed to have my bloods taken after my scan, even though she was telling us when to expect the results - which never came. Then it was too late for combined test. Luckily still had the Quad test - but It made me worry as I was that much furthur along.

Anyway my midwife knows I suffer from Anxiety, god knows she had to fill out so much paper work because I have just been diagnosed with generalised Anxiety (nothing major, just worry and mild panic attacks). So prosponing my appojntment, and now having to drag my my friends little girl with my little boy next week is not my idea of fun! Especially as I would rather I went on my own (less stress)!

Anyway I dont know, she said she hopes the clinic will pick up, but I just feel if the clinics there and someones booked, surely they should stick to no matter how many people book in. Its not like I booked half way through the morning/session.....

Oh I dont know, just feel a bit let down, again. My experience of the system is a bit negative anyway as my last pregnancy ened up with an being left for 48hrs with no waters after they broke but labour didnt start - kept sending me home, undiagnosed breech, emergency c-section and a uterine infection. I just wanted this one to be a bit more positive.

I guess im just having a hormonal moan -Should Isay something?

Laura05 Wed 21-Sep-16 09:44:22

Sorry you're feeling let down flowers

I agree that if an appointment is booked then they should stick to it, even if they have no others appointments that morning.

Can I ask why you're seeing her?

I seen my midwife at 8weeks and won't see her again until 24weeks. This is my 3rd pg but don't remember seeing mw between scans before?

Heidipiedy Wed 21-Sep-16 09:51:19

Hi Laura,

Oh thats good to know someone has the same opinion, i pressed post then felt really silly!!

In my Area, they see you at 8 - weeks for booking in, then the midwife appointments for a second pregnancy are 16 weeks, 28 weeks, then I believe its every two weeks from 36 weeks, but will have to double check that. Funny how its different in different places!

Laura05 Wed 21-Sep-16 10:13:23

It is strange eh? I think we're 24weeks, 28weeks then every 2weeks from 32.
I'm only 15weeks just now so there's no point in me double checking as I'll have forgotten by next week grin

Heidipiedy Wed 21-Sep-16 10:22:24

Haha yes, I may have got the last part wrong, my brain struggles to retain infomation relating to anything more than a few weeks away! That might even be pushing, best say a week to make sure!

Aww our babies have simular Due Dates smile

Laura05 Wed 21-Sep-16 10:42:23

Haha! Definitely! I struggle with what day I'm on never mind where I'm supposed to be and when hmm

I'm due 14th March

jb007 Wed 21-Sep-16 10:52:13

If they are following the NICE guidelines first pregnancy you are seen for booking between 8-12 weeks, then 16, 25, 28, 31, 34, 36, 38, 40 and 41 weeks. For a subsequent pregnancies the 25 and 31 week appointments are missed out. There are variations depending on medical history and Bmi etc and this is just the framework

Heidipiedy Wed 21-Sep-16 14:11:31

Oh Geeze, they have just called to rescheduled the rescheduled appointment - apparently I was double booked.....

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 21-Sep-16 15:58:37

Also have 16w mw check booked in

May depend on area

Annoying you for cancelled esp when arrange childcare /around work

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now