Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby shower gift

(8 Posts)
jodie444 Tue 20-Sep-16 17:07:24

I'm due my first baby on Monday and my friend who is also pregnant and a month behind me is throwing her baby shower this Sunday. She lives a 45min drive away from where I live.

Because of the proximity to my due date I told her I couldn't come. She's now been asking me if I could come if I feel up to it.

I'm starting to feel guilty about not going and am considering it, although my hospital is 45mins drive in opposite direction of where I live, so il be 1hr 30 away from my hospital should anything occur during the shower!

The problem is I have not got a gift to give her as I hadn't intended on going....I bought a card today but am stuck for gift ideas?

I'm not 100% sure if I'm going yet but do any of you have any ideas for gifts that aren't expensive? As id prefer to get her a 'proper' gift once baby has arrived and I know the sex.

honeysucklejasmine Tue 20-Sep-16 17:11:08

Simply say that in the card "personalised present to follow after arrival of Baby [surname]" or something like that.

Are there hospitals near your friend you could deliver in if you absolutely had to?

Most importantly though, if you don't want to go, don't.

GoNorthDarren Tue 20-Sep-16 19:36:35

Agree with all of the above from honeysuckle.

ConvincingLiar Tue 20-Sep-16 19:37:09

When I was stuck I bought a £10 M&S gift card and wrote in the card "buy a two dine for £10" for an easy dinner.

specialsubject Tue 20-Sep-16 19:39:33

BTW people who import other customs should learn them. You do not throw your own baby shower, that is gimme gimme gimme. It is supposed to be organised by someone else.

send the note suggested (only one present per baby, AFTER it arrives) and enjoy your last weekend before parenthood! Hope all goes very well.

jodie444 Wed 21-Sep-16 07:07:48

Thanks all! Still debating whether to go or not. Have visions of being stuck on the motorway in traffic in labour! Totally ridiculous I know!

I will just give her a card like you suggested. Pressie to come when baby here!

AprilShowers16 Wed 21-Sep-16 07:16:28

You could get her a little bottle of nice shower gel and moisturiser (I think boots have the sanctuary ones) as that's a nice inexpensive gift for her - and then include a note in the card that it's for her hospital bag.

Someone did that for me and it was lovely having nice smelling stuff fit my gifts post labour shower!

With regards to going I would put your hospital bag in a car and make sure you have your notes with you. Even 45 minutes away if it's your first I think you'd know something was happening with enough notice to get there. Maybe have someone else on standby to drive you back if need be smile

mummySN Wed 21-Sep-16 12:11:34

Hi Jodie444

I totally agree that you should not feel you have to go to something if you feel worried or stressed about.
Although do check lovecreatekeep....they use old baby grows and make soft toys for the baby at the age of 1
it is a thoughtful present that does not have to be given at a baby shower! but if you do decide to go it can!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now