Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

when should i have whooping cough and flu vaccine?

(21 Posts)
thecatsarecrazy Tue 20-Sep-16 09:20:20

I'm pregnant with my third and have pretty much been left to it. I've had my scans and blood tests but only seen midwife twice. Don't see her again until 31st of Oct. I'm 21 weeks now. When I had my other children I wasn't offered either so its new to me. Do I just book it with doctors?

worriedabouthimagain Tue 20-Sep-16 09:21:41

28 wks is the best time to have it . I booked mine with the doctors

ohidoliketobe Tue 20-Sep-16 09:25:38

After your dating scan for the flu jab, and after 28 weeks for whooping cough.

I get flu jab anyway as I'm asthmatic, but I got a letter from my GP inviting me to call to book whooping cough in my last pregnancy. I'd call your GP and ask.

jb007 Tue 20-Sep-16 09:26:55

Whooping cough is after 20 weeks.

AudreyBradshaw Tue 20-Sep-16 09:50:32

I'm having both mine today and I'm 30+6. It was flagged up on my notes to book it when I went in for my 28 week appt. Ring up your GP and they'll probably just book you in with the nurse for the appropriate dates.

thecatsarecrazy Tue 20-Sep-16 09:52:33

Ok thank you. No need to panic just yet then smile

bluebunnyblue Tue 20-Sep-16 16:26:38

I'm 21 weeks too and next seeing midwife w/c 31st October! We must be due fairly similar dates thecats smile Guidance for whooping cough used to be from 28 weeks, but it's now recommended from 20 weeks, so you shold be able to book in at GP surgery any time now. I had my whooping cough last Thursday and am having flu jab this Saturday.

Laura05 Wed 21-Sep-16 10:40:27

I'm booked in with my gp to get flu jab and whooping cough at 17weeks.
The dates for flu jab at my gp is in October and I was told they offer whooping cough from 16weeks.
I would phone your gp as it seems different practices have different guidelines.

BasinHaircut Wed 21-Sep-16 10:42:48

Get the flu jab now as the vaccinations for this year have just started.

Pertussis is best given just after your 20w scan.

Nikki2ol6 Wed 21-Sep-16 10:44:51

I had to have mine yesterday because my toddler was diagnosed with whooping cough!! I'm 25 weeks

BasinHaircut Wed 21-Sep-16 10:44:55

To clarify, you need to have the flu jab before flu starts circulating, the point of your pregnancy is irrelevant

AudreyBradshaw Wed 21-Sep-16 10:45:57

Just a warning, I had both my jabs yesterday, one in each arm. It's like having dead arms, but more sore! Worst nights sleep ever because I can't move my arms without them being painful! Been a bit red in the face/warm too. Unpleasant but not unbearable.

pugsake Wed 21-Sep-16 10:57:40

I had my flu jab yesterday** all fine bit of a sore arm yesterday but fine today.

Butterpuff Wed 21-Sep-16 13:23:10

I've had a letter re flu jab. I too thought it was just as the season ramps up.
Do you have to have whooping cough for subsequent pregnancies. I had it with DC1 a couple of years ago,. Thought I would still be covered and not have to go again.

ImYourMama Wed 21-Sep-16 15:39:13

Flu jab you can have anytime from now

Trulyamnearanear Wed 21-Sep-16 16:26:06

My surgery start doing flu jabs from oct 10th so I'm booked in after that. I just happened to be there and asked. Didn't get a letter or anything.

Yes you have to have whooping cough each pregnancy. It's only enough to protect the baby until they have their own jab, not you longterm.

thecatsarecrazy Wed 21-Sep-16 18:31:08

Thankyou everyone for your replies. I will give g.p a call then as soon as poss. I don't like these big gaps seeing the midwife.

Womble75 Wed 21-Sep-16 18:38:30

I'm having mine directly after my 20wk scan.
I remember last pregnancy in 2012 it was at 28 weeks + iirc but midwife said they changed the guidelines since apparently

CocoLoco87 Thu 22-Sep-16 09:44:03

Flu jab asap and whooping cough is given between 28-32 weeks

vallinnapod Thu 22-Sep-16 11:36:35

Another one just confirming WC is now from 20 weeks. My MW said they are attempting to try and coordinate it with people going in for their 20 week scans so you have them both done on the same day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now