Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

NICE guidelines and dating the pregnancy

(12 Posts)
Bellabelloo Mon 19-Sep-16 18:55:27

I am pregnant through IVF. One hospital I go to (for cardiac problems) say NICE guidelines say I should be dated from my egg retrieval date (makes sense!). The other where I see the obstetrician says the date is based on the dating scan which is over a week later. Does anyone know where I can find the NICE guidelines for dating IVF pregnancies? I have googled and googled to no avail! Thanks!

Christmasbaby16 Mon 19-Sep-16 19:04:12

Try.. www.nice.org.uk/guidance/conditions-and-diseases/fertility--pregnancy-and-childbirth/pregnancy

Or

You might be best try royal college of obstetricians and gynaecologists:
www.rcog.org.uk/guidelines

Bellabelloo Mon 19-Sep-16 22:23:15

Thanks Christmasbaby. I still can't find it. My worry is that due to health issues they want to induce me 2 weeks early. If my actual due date should be based on my egg collection/fertilisation date rather than the 12 week dating scan, then they will be inducing me 25 days early!!!! It scares me that both NHS hospitals under the same trust base the dates using different methods! I was hoping to be able to print off the NICE guidelines and take them with me to my obstetrician.

If anyone can help I would be very grateful! For those of you who had IVF how is your hospital dating you?

drinkyourmilk Tue 20-Sep-16 05:37:10

I'm pregnant through ivf. Had my 12 week scan yesterday. They are using my egg collection date to determine due date- as with ivf you can't be wrong about fertilisation.
My scan showed me 2 days ahead of my ivf dates- but Sonographer still recorded the date based on egg collection.

Bellabelloo Tue 20-Sep-16 08:15:13

Thanks drinkyourmilk. That completely makes sense doesn't it!!

Fourormore Tue 20-Sep-16 08:18:36

You can decline induction.

MrsChrisPratt Tue 20-Sep-16 09:02:22

I'm pregnant via ivf and was dated in the 'usual' way based on measurements at the 12 week scan. Fine with me as it put me forward one day so not a huge difference and by that time I'll want LO out and safe ASAP. c.2 weeks difference is huge, I would be questioning that!

Bellabelloo Tue 20-Sep-16 09:25:12

I have questioned and questioned and am so worried as he is 'large' based on the dating scan, so would be even larger based on my IVF dates!! But every time I see someone different and they just tell me it's the way they do it! When I went to see the cardiologist at the other hospital the obstetric team there told me it should absolutely be dated on my IVF dates and those are the NICE guidelines. I just wish I could find it written in writing so I could take it along and not just look like an anxious first-time mum.

I am the worst patient anyway as had breast cancer a few years ago and was misdiagnosed for ages, so now I question everything and like to feel in control as possible.

drinkyourmilk Tue 20-Sep-16 15:22:23

What about asking PALS for the NICE guidelines? They should be able to find and print them for you?

Bellabelloo Tue 20-Sep-16 15:32:21

Thanks! Will give that a go! X

SparrowSG Tue 20-Sep-16 16:03:07

Same issue here.

Private scan lady told me they should be going on my IVF egg collection date but at the 12 wk NHS scan she went on the size instead, for me there is 5 days difference. I am still going on my IVF date and if they push for induction on my due date (as I am over 40) I will be thinking of that date and not the NHS one.

2 weeks is a massive difference! 5 days irritated me confused

Bellabelloo Tue 20-Sep-16 16:25:02

Sorry, my bad. They have dated me 9 days later, so if they induce me 2 weeks earlier than my due date due to my dating scan it will be 23 days earlier than my IVF due date, which seems rather worrying. Plus if he is big for 20 weeks, then he must be massive for 18 weeks and 5 days!

Hope your team listen to your concerns! I'll let you know if I find any official info.

X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now