Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Annual leave if not returning to work

(22 Posts)
mycatsatwat Mon 19-Sep-16 10:26:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dlah Mon 19-Sep-16 10:28:55

SMP only runs for 39 weeks, so are you planning to bridge the last 12 weeks of no pay yourself? Or could you ask them to use it from week 40 onwards until it runs out - that way you still wouldn't have to give an indication of leaving until later?

sentia Mon 19-Sep-16 10:29:53

It should be covered in your employment policies. When I told my employer I was pregnant they sent me a looooong letter outlining all the relevant mat leave benefits and policies that I had to sign, did you get something like that?

mycatsatwat Mon 19-Sep-16 10:35:39

Dlah Mon 19-Sep-16 11:02:33

Yeah I'm confident that'll be the case then, and its common practice to use your annual leave accrued to cover this period so won't look out of place if you explain that's what you want to do smile

mycatsatwat Mon 19-Sep-16 11:06:29

Hmmnotkeen Mon 19-Sep-16 11:12:34

In my case, I sent in my resignation letter one month before the 12 months was up (so a few months after SMP had finished). They sent me a letter accepting my resignation and some stuff about pensions, and told me I would receive my final payslip on next normal payday.

HR advised me before I left not to resign until the final month because I'd lose out on accruing more annual leave money- but I suppose this would depend on what your plan is.

mycatsatwat Mon 19-Sep-16 11:17:37

AButterflyLightsBesideUs Mon 19-Sep-16 11:29:52

Mine did back in 2012. I gave my notice in after 11 months mat leave and got a final payslip that included 6 weeks full pay (accrued annual leave). A lovely cash injection just as we were moving house!

mycatsatwat Mon 19-Sep-16 11:31:35

Dlah Mon 19-Sep-16 12:11:43

Yes, or as long as your accrued will stretch smile

Cakescakescakes Mon 19-Sep-16 12:17:14

Just check if you have a clause where you need to come back to work for a certain period after maternity leave or else repay part of it. I needed to return for 3 months otherwise I had to repay all my maternity pay (except for the statutory element).

Cakescakescakes Mon 19-Sep-16 12:17:36

Ignore that! I just saw that you are only eligible for SMP anyway.

mycatsatwat Mon 19-Sep-16 12:57:30

Whatsername17 Mon 19-Sep-16 13:48:19

I'm not sure about the annual leave but wondered if there was a reason as to why you are going in leave so early? No judgement - financially I was/am better off leaving work as late as possible and wondered if it might be the same for you?

Slave2thecat Mon 19-Sep-16 13:59:02

You should be paid the statutory leave owed to you, and any intakes public holidays too.

Your employer may make other arrangements for any additional, contractual, leave above statutory. Read your contract and policies to confirm.

Slave2thecat Mon 19-Sep-16 14:00:49

I also raised an eyebrow as to you finishing work so early before baby is due. It's non of my business, and Im sure you e thought it through but it's very early to finish. Most people work for longer to maximise pay when baby is here.

Ask HR for the maternity policy or look it up on your intranet. It will contain everything you need to do and when, inc notifying HR and how to get your payments on time.

Take the policy and HR direct line home with you so you can call if needed while you're off.

Mark your payments on a calendar right to the end so you know what to expect and when. Query anything you don't understand or are unsure of.

You'll get acrued annual leave paid to you if it's untaken. You can return to work at the end of SMP and use annual leave to remain off but get paid your usual salary if you wanted to, or simply stay on mat leave as unpaid.

mycatsatwat Mon 19-Sep-16 15:11:05

Slave2thecat Mon 19-Sep-16 16:36:03

Mycat - congrats in your pregnancy and i hope you and your little family enjoy all your mat leave.

UnicornPee Mon 19-Sep-16 17:33:40

Rather than say you will take the 52 weeks leave say you want to take the 39 weeks then after that holiday pay each week until it runs out.
Because if you don't you'll be paid nothing for weeks 40-52 and will then be paid the accrued Hol pay when you are made a leaver

mycatsatwat Mon 19-Sep-16 21:28:37

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now